Discussion for Driver [EU] / Driver: You are the Wheelman [US] (1999)

Where do you preffer playing Driver1?

Computer
51%
Playstation
49%
By Nikusakken
The PC version has better graphics, , has fog (for Voodoo 3 VGA with the Glide drivers), has better a chrome effect, a better skybox, better colors, transparent water. And the PSX, has a better quality FMV films, and has a better gameplay.
By The.Kid.1978
Registration Days Posts Avatar
Nick Brasil wrote:The PC version has better graphic.

If the first Driver in the link has really better graphics than in the second - I'm blind.
By Nikusakken
But have you ever played the PC version and compared with the PS version ? if not, just play it and you'll see it.
By The.Kid.1978
I did - a disappointment really since Driver for PC came out later than Driver PSX.
By DriverKid
Registration Days Posts Posts Posts Avatar
The PC verson was better. Better graphics, the ability to mod and take out the sounds, the cheats, the stupid cops, and most of all.... the cities! SF was fun to drive through with the superfast cars cheat, because of all the hills!
By madness
Yeah, PC as mentioned above.
Also never trust a video from youtube, remember the quality is significantly down-graded so you cannot really compare.

When I get my PS1, PS2, PC, GBA, PSP all set up I'll be screencapturing all the quality's and comparing them!
By squeaky
Registration Days Posts Posts Avatar
PC. It is freakin awesome in Ultra Mode.
By Sedans
I like em both. Pc you could pick your car.

PSX i thought had better driving pyhsics and was jus a bit more fun..
By DriverKid
Registration Days Posts Posts Posts Avatar
The only Sony things I own currently are a Erricson phone and a PSP, so I can't really say I know what the PSX verson is like.
By cleone
PlayStation, no doubt. In the PC version, the cars had weird shapes. It also had less steering sensitivity which really messed me up. It was also super dark in the Parking Garage mission. I got rid of the PC version. You can also select your car in PS version only with cheats though.
By Tanner1970
Registration Days Posts Posts Avatar
I Go With PC Version, But I Have Driver For Playstation Too.
By Fisico9798
Registration Days Avatar
In my opinion the Playstation version is much better. It has better car handling, car models and great music.

But on the PC version you can select on take a ride all cars and on ps1 not.
By Skylabh
As a moderator, i have to tell you that you shouldn't bump an old topic like this one, because it's a common rule for all the forums on the internet. The last post here is dated february 20th 2009. So please don't bump old topics, thanks.
By hemi
Registration Days Posts
since you guys bump this up .. I will say PS version just because its more fun.
The PS ver. physics is really good and funny special when you hit a flip car from engine said and make it fly :mrgreen:

Although PC version has more options/mods which make fun to play.
I really wish someone with some development background to mod PC ver so deep and change/import some stuff from PS version.
By Razor440
I have a few images you can compare the two versions. I don't think we need the Game Boy Color version, though :lol:
Image thumbnail
Loading Screens were different
Image thumbnail
Spawn locations in Miami were different...and so was the Buick they used.
Image thumbnail
There were billboards along the freeway in the PSX version, and a Blimp (not shown) flew above the sky.
Also, the graphics were VERY different on the PC when it came to quality. The PSX is pretty limited in terms of graphics, so that's the problem.
There's a texture on the side of a building in LA that has some...well...somewhat unfiltered imagery in the PC version. NFSW, to say the least. They uncovered it in the PC version... :shock: If it's okay to post it, let me know because it's pretty substantial.

Physics are different too, the PSX's suspension reacts different on the SF hills. The combination of the weird physics and a sudden fps drop doesn't help either. The PC version feels much more fluid and dynamic... :specialdriver:

More shots soon...
By RacingFreak
Razor440 wrote: Image thumbnail
Not really, that's the USA Loading Screen. The ROW one is same as PS's. Aswell as some versions have different loading bar colours.
By Razor440
RacingFreak wrote:
Razor440 wrote: Image thumbnail
Not really, that's the USA Loading Screen. The ROW one is same as PS's. Aswell as some versions have different loading bar colours.
What's the ROW version?

By the way, here are some shots for you guys, enjoy.

http://imgur.com/a/EtoUJ

Click the link above to view the album.
By Fisico9798
Registration Days Avatar
Hi Razor440,

Very nice comparison between PC and Ps1. :)
I personally prefer the PS1 version.

btw: The American loading screen from Driver, i saw the first time today.

Greetings,
Fisico9798
By Razor440
Fisico9798 wrote:Hi Razor440,

Very nice comparison between PC and Ps1. :)
I personally prefer the PS1 version.

btw: The American loading screen from Driver, i saw the first time today.

Greetings,
Fisico9798
Thanks, that's really nice of you to say. And that's awesome you just saw it, because I know that feeling when you see something you didn't get in your regions' versions game. It's the reason why I play the Japanese verison of Gran Turismo 2 more than the American... but that's for another forum!

I might have video coming up, but Bandicam can't seem to get it to work with the PC version. Can anybody help?
By Razor440
Fisico9798 wrote:So something in the way I have found already in other games. For example, Colin McRae Rally from 1998. Since there are also different versions. Once a version of Subaru with sponsors and once a version without sponsors. Here the links: http://www.mobygames.com/game/colin-mcr ... rId,62568/; http://www.mobygames.com/game/colin-mcr ... rId,82351/

Cheers,
Fisico9798
:lol: Haha, that's funny. Wonder why. We should probably stay on topic though. :mrgreen:
By Fisico9798
Registration Days Avatar
OK why not. :mrgreen: I know Colin McRae Rally 2 have different versions. between the original PS1 version and Platinum PS1. And again the Subaru. In the original version of cmr2 the Subaru has Runfree as a sponsor, as in the times of McRae as driver for subaru. In the Platinum version, however, has the Subaru Spike as a sponsor.

Here the links:
(original);
(platinum)
Cheers Fisico9798
By Razor440
Fisico9798 wrote:OK why not. :mrgreen: I know Colin McRae Rally 2 have different versions. between the original PS1 version and Platinum PS1. And again the Subaru. In the original version of cmr2 the Subaru has Runfree as a sponsor, as in the times of McRae as driver for subaru. In the Platinum version, however, has the Subaru Spike as a sponsor.

Here the links:
(original);
(platinum)
Cheers Fisico9798
I appreciate it man, but that's not what I meant by "on topic". Maybe something you noticed from Driver that was different that I didn't post? :specialdriver:
By Fisico9798
Registration Days Avatar
@Razor440 Oh, I probably misunderstood. Sry

Here i found more differents between PC and PS1 from Driver 1.

1. The Soundtrack in the Towns are different between PC and PS1. ( i like ps1 soundtrack more)

2. When you beat the game on PC, you can select all Cars on take a ride. On the PS1 version, it doesn´t work.

3. In the Mission Superfly Drive on PC the mission starts with dusk and in later on the Mission its night. On the PS1 version the mission already starts at night.

4. On the PC version driving around several different NPC cars in the town. On the PS1 version, there are only two different npc car types per town, but with different colors.

5. In the PS1 version the Hollywood Sign from LA did not appear. There is only a wall. On the PC there is the hollywood sign in Los Angeles,

Greetings,
Fisico9798
By PostalDude
Fisico9798 wrote:@Razor440 Oh, I probably misunderstood. Sry

Here i found more differents between PC and PS1 from Driver 1.

1. The Soundtrack in the Towns are different between PC and PS1. ( i like ps1 soundtrack more)

2. When you beat the game on PC, you can select all Cars on take a ride. On the PS1 version, it doesn´t work.

3. In the Mission Superfly Drive on PC the mission starts with dusk and in later on the Mission its night. On the PS1 version the mission already starts at night.

4. On the PC version driving around several different NPC cars in the town. On the PS1 version, there are only two different npc car types per town, but with different colors.

5. In the PS1 version the Hollywood Sign from LA did not appear. There is only a wall. On the PC there is the hollywood sign in Los Angeles,

Greetings,
Fisico9798
This is all very well known by now.
Crazy Copper Frenzy

https://youtu.be/xAE3QsULyB4

https://youtu.be/AxdGf3F0yIg

Driv3r "Nice Getaway"

https://youtu.be/CYkmGAPoO9s Lucas in Driv3r's Ni[…]

https://youtu.be/Yvc_xKrKhnc?si=k4I5kraarTXctHJp […]