Discussion for Driver [EU] / Driver: You are the Wheelman [US] (1999)
By Tyler
Registration Days Posts
Wheelman: Regenesis

I've been wanting to do this for a long time, and I've seen the Driver modding community and Unity3D grow to the point where I believe this to be possible.
  • Unity3D is approaching version 5, and has excellent lighting/customization/AI/GUI/multiplayer/multiplat/file reading and interpretation support.
  • Driver's community now has the knowhow, tools, and utilities required to do just about anything. Texture ripping, levels, models, audio, etc.
  • Driver is getting to that point where it's having trouble running on some newer machines, and this is natural that it will continue to get worse (even if slowly)
  • The fanbase seems to love the idea of multiplayer support
  • Porting it to Unity3D means we have the ability to add new driving games, cities, cars, models, objects, sounds, and more with absolute ease
  • It also means we can easily plop in assets from Driver 2, 3, and many others (although there may be some conflicting art styles)
What do you say? Who has experience and thinks they could help do this? Once an initial release is made, YouTube exposure will bring in all sorts of players and skilled people to help. For development, all we'd really need is a Steam group/IRC/subreddit/Skype/etc and a nice method to use to share files... and somewhere to host the "gold" branch of the Unity project for everyone to take and build off of. The great thing about Unity is that there's a web player option, so sharing will be super simple.

Also, if anyone's curious about Unity and how easy it is to migrate assets into it:

DRIVER RELATED
UNITY RELATED
  • (some of these have surprised me)
Last edited by Tyler on Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:12 pm, edited 7 times in total.
By Tyler
Registration Days Posts
Meet the team

Name - Duties
Name - Duties
Name - Duties

Task list

Here's an example of what needs to be done for a release that looks exciting enough for people to care about
  • Working and ported car with working audio
  • Working grass textures, plastered on a giant plane
  • Billboarding trees (look at camera/lock up-down axis in Unity... very easy!)
  • Working collision physics (soft, entity, hard). Respective examples: cone, cop car, building
Last edited by Tyler on Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:17 pm, edited 5 times in total.
By Tyler
Registration Days Posts
Reserved for Q/A

Q: What if Ubisoft pulls the old C&D?
A: We should rename the project from the start to mitigate the majority of possible problems. I propose "Return of the Wheelman", "Wheelman HD", or "Wheelman: Regenesis". These names also leave room for later projects (Wheelman: Regenesis 2, Wheelman: Reg3nesis)

Q: Will this project ever be completed with such a small team?
A: "Completed" is a funny word. Put simply, no... however, the core assets, levels, audio, and features that make Driver fun make up a mere fraction of the entire game. Those ones would be a priority, and would likely take the work of a few people and a month (at least). Things like singleplayer missions, dirt track, and trail blazer may not be in the top priority list early on.
Last edited by Tyler on Fri Feb 13, 2015 7:55 pm, edited 5 times in total.
By VAIMAHDO
We make it free to play, that's the solution.
This is a project that will probably never be finished.
We may have some dedicated members here, but there's a wave of unserious/unstable members.
As for those members who are dedicated, there simply just isn't enough of us, or at least, enough of us that have the time to do this. I'd be willing to help in any way I can.
By Tyler
Registration Days Posts
VAIMAHDO wrote:We make it free to play
Oh, for sure. I wouldn't want it any other way.

VAIMAHDO wrote: This is a project that will probably never be finished.
If it was started and continually fine tuned for a while, it could become an extremely fun stripped-down version of Driver with multiplayer support. All I've ever wanted is city-wide cop chases :S
VAIMAHDO wrote: We may have some dedicated members here, but there's a wave of unserious/unstable members.
As for those members who are dedicated, there simply just isn't enough of us, or at least, enough of us that have the time to do this. I'd be willing to help in any way I can.
Honestly though, I'm proficient enough with Unity (as is at least one other member) to the point where I could put together an amazing initial demo if I could just get my hands on some working assets.
By Tyler
Registration Days Posts
PostalDude wrote:Uh, SOAP's project? This isn't even needed.
Not quite. Syndicate is its own separate game (sequel), made by a single person, and made in its own custom engine. It's definitely amazing playing it at 60FPS though :)

The only thing the two really do have in common is their ability to both use assets from Driver.
By Unreal38
Registration Days Posts
Hello!

I am new on this forum.

I have some experience in using Unity3D and game developement. I really love Driver and I dream about remake/reimagination/reboot of the original. I really want to contribute! I can start working right away just give me a task. In the meantime I will do the items from the list here.

Cheers!!!
By DatDirtyBananas
Registration Days Posts Posts Posts Avatar
Unreal38 wrote:Hello!

I am new on this forum.

I have some experience in using Unity3D and game developement. I really love Driver and I dream about remake/reimagination/reboot of the original. I really want to contribute! I can start working right away just give me a task. In the meantime I will do the items from the list here.

Cheers!!!
Welcome to Driver Madness, where we talk about Driver and b*t*h about the new Driver games by Ubisoft :D

Enjoy your stay, shexshey (Y) (I'd like to see what you can do by the way)
By PostalDude
Unreal38 wrote:I need somebody to extract car sounds from Driver for me.
Crash sound
Drift sound
Engine sound
Everything is right there named appropriately in the audio/sounds directory, I take it you don't have the game?
Last edited by PostalDude on Sat Apr 04, 2015 3:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Unreal38
Registration Days Posts
PostalDude wrote:
Unreal38 wrote:I need somebody to extract car sounds from Driver for me.
Crash sound
Drift sound
Engine sound
Everything is right there named appropriately in the audio/sounds directory, I take it you don't have the game?
I'm sorry, didn't even check. :P

Here's a screenshot of me playing around.
There is a full day/night cycle with street lamps turning on and off at 19:00-06:00.
Some cones that you can flip and throw around.
By Unreal38
Registration Days Posts
-Vehicle handling as for me is not perfect yet!
-Burnout doesnt work so good(car engine)
-Broken Dynamic Objects sometimes fly in air(no gravity - im fixing it)

Current features :
-Day/Night cycle
-Breakable Dynamic Objects
-HUD : damage, felony(not working yet), speedometer, mirror and minimap(not in demo)
-Other features(check out yourself)

Controls :

Steering - Arrows
Handbrake - Space
Burnout - Left Shift
Looking around - WASD
Change view - E

http://www.mediafire.com/download/982wq ... EVDemo.zip
By Wheels
Registration Days Posts Posts Posts
I feel like this is going to be another project that (hopefully) won't be abandoned. Please continue with this amazing work! :D :D
Crazy Copper Frenzy

https://youtu.be/xAE3QsULyB4

https://youtu.be/AxdGf3F0yIg

Driv3r "Nice Getaway"

https://youtu.be/CYkmGAPoO9s Lucas in Driv3r's Ni[…]

https://youtu.be/Yvc_xKrKhnc?si=k4I5kraarTXctHJp […]