Discussion for Driver [EU] / Driver: You are the Wheelman [US] (1999)
By Coyote
You guys probably know it already, but there's this weird GSX in the game's manual everywhere. After comparing it to the red GSX, I figured that it actually was the red GSX. There's also some beta cop cars. On some pics they look different, I don't know why, they look more squarish, possibly another version of the beta cop? On the first pic for example it looks more like an actual sedan, while the beta cop we know always had a bit the shape of a coupe if you ask me. But probably it's just the angle, well nothing too special for now but I've decided to take some pics:

What's weird is this place also:

In the released PSX version traffic drives around there, in the PC version however (and in the iPhone version) it's a green spot and there's some barriers. But this is from the PSX version, perhaps it was meant to be like this already before!

The manual also states that in Take-a-Ride mode, the weather will be chosen randomly, which is clearly not the case. It's always sun. It's one thing that I didn't get when I was younger, I thought I was doing something wrong all the time.

But I actually started this thread because of something else. I noticed that on the iPhone I have 4 different cop cars. A normal one, like we know them, one with a white trunk, like we know them as well, then the same car but with a different (very weird) front, which is NOT the body kit version, and then a fourth that you only get to drive in those two missions (LA and NY), it's one that I've actually never seen anywhere before and it looks really strange. Maybe a beta car as well?

I will go pick up my old computer soon from our other house when I get the chance, then I will be able to run the Mac edition of the first Driver :) I'm really very curious if there's anything hidden in there, I also have the demo which me and my dad downloaded from a site back in year 2000 (Mac version), so maybe it will have some secrets as well :D
By Coyote
Sweet, in colour :)

But that's weird, why does is have this texture? It has a strange painting on the sides, similar to the red one. I guess that makes one more beta GSX?

The cop car I believe it's the same as well, although on the first picture it looks much more squarish, much more like the standard St. Regis actually.

And as for the 4 cop cars: Do you believe the 4th one (used in mission) was made just for the iPhone version? Well, we will have to wait until I check the Mac version first, who knows :) But I'll make some pics if needed, although I'll have to play through the story again to get to the "secret" cop car.

Edit: Also, when I compare it to the PC version, I can notice that some cars in the iPhone version have different textures. I'm really wondering if the iPhone version is based on the Mac or on the Windows version.
By Olanov
That's truly interesting!

On the first glimpse, it looks like those pics are off the PC version but when you take another look, they're definitely PS1 looking.
Or maybe I'm wrong. Either way, cool!
By 0takumetalhead
Registration Days Posts Posts Posts Posts Avatar
Mehh, I have the manual twice (of which one is in colour) the Skylark is purple but with messed up UV-mapping.
By Coyote
Olanov wrote:That's truly interesting!

On the first glimpse, it looks like those pics are off the PC version but when you take another look, they're definitely PS1 looking.
Or maybe I'm wrong. Either way, cool!
I'm not sure, but I was thinking the same. Also, the last pic is kind of what let me first think that it's the PC version. Because it has this green zone instead of the roads that are there in the PS1 version. (You only see the barriers on the pic)
I'm sure you guys know where it is, it's in the west of Miami Beach, close to one of the highways to Miami. In one of the first missions you have to drive there. That's where it is!

So perhaps it was an early version of the PC version? The earliest PC beta version? The PC one wasn't out yet, but maybe they were still working on it. That's maybe why it looks PS1-esque, because in that one year before the PC version got released, they enhanced the graphics, etc.

Either way, it would be interesting to know.
By RacingFreak
That's all from the PC Beta. Won't make sense to put PS1 snaps in PC manual, will it?

The iPhone version is entirely a port of the PC version, with stupid additions such as these new (uglier in my honest opinion) cars with breakable windows. I can indeed remember some left-over textures in their files and beta stuff, so like I said, I will check the files asap.

And that's not yet another beta skylark, it's simply the Skylark MK1. Check the Evolution: http://drivermadness.net/forum/viewtopi ... =72&t=3165

Neither is the cop car. It's simply the Beta Cop Car - the same one seen in the beta demo.
By Coyote
Yeah, true. Where was this MK1 seen? Is it the same as the final car in the PC version?

I agree with you on the iPhone car windows, not a fan of them either. Neither of the music and the new GTA-style radio, I would have preferred the original soundtrack. The only advantage is really just the additional cars…

And BTW: The pics I posted are from the PS1 manual. 1 year before the PC version was even out :)
By Fireboyd78
The MK1 made an appearance in early PC screenshots as well as a couple of PSX screenshots as well.

On that last one, I just realized the cars are Driving on the wrong side of the road...LOL. Maybe the picture was flipped so "P1" would appear correctly, but still funny.

As for the pictures up top...those are some very interesting images. It shows the PC version of Driver with the MK1 Skylark and beta cop cars - something I've never seen in other screenshots for the PC.
By Olanov
RacingFreak wrote:That's all from the PC Beta. Won't make sense to put PS1 snaps in PC manual, will it?
This is true!

Thought, hell. They did put PC snaps in the PS1 manual.
By Coyote
Indeed very interesting shots! I notice the green car in the second pic, is that the same as the yellow one in the first pic? Looks kind of different. The red one a few pics later looks different too! And very interesting and rare colour :)

It does seem like the last pic was flipped, I was wondering what that "P1" was and thought it was a different version of the car, but then I noticed that on the pics I posted it has the "P1" as well :P Someone could compare the map, but pretty sure it's flipped. BTW do cars in Newcastle drive on the left side of the road?

And Olanov: that would actually mean that the PC version was already (kind of) ready when the PS1 version came out :) I mean if they put PC screenshots one year before the game's out? Perhaps they were waiting to truly optimise it, because quality wise it does look very similar to the PS1.
By Coyote
I've done a little bit of research and found a video where the 4th (unique) cop car is seen for a few seconds. You can also see the St. Regis with the different front.
At 0:36 you see the standard St. Regis. A few seconds after that you see the other police car that I meant. I don't think this one is seen anywhere else?

At 0:45 you can see the one with the different front. It has weird headlights and also a different bumper from what I can see.

The only one missing in this video is the one with the white trunk. That one is seen in San Francisco and Los Angeles in the PS1 version if I'm not mistaken? Or perhaps only San Francisco? Either way, in San Francisco and LA (on the iPhone) it's a standard St. Regis, but I can't remember where I've seen the one with the white trunk. I've just seen it recently when I was playing. I believe it was left something in a driving game, perhaps survival because that's what I've been playing most lately. So I'll check that.

It was probably forgotten there somewhere and they didn't replace it…
By Olanov
Coyote wrote:And Olanov: that would actually mean that the PC version was already (kind of) ready when the PS1 version came out :) I mean if they put PC screenshots one year before the game's out? Perhaps they were waiting to truly optimise it, because quality wise it does look very similar to the PS1.
Probably!

Always interesting to look back into the developement builds.
By RacingFreak
Pfftt... that's the NY Cop Car. It's in the PC version - since forever. Only appears like that in New York level. But not as player vehicle.

The one with white trunk is the PSX version which does have NYPD badge.
By Coyote
I suppose you're talking about the one with the different front right? If it's there in the PC version I suppose you could have guessed what I was talking about :D

But either way, the really interesting thing here is the other car, seen at around 0:38 :) On PSX and PC you have a standard cop car at this point.
By Coyote
RacingFreak wrote:What do you mean? At 0:38 its the default PC cop car, same one as in Miami and San Francisco.
At 0:40 you can see both cars, the default cop car (driven by an AI in this case) which crashes into the player's car, a rare and unique cop car which doesn't resemble the default cop car at all. :D
By Badnick24
Registration Days Posts Posts Posts Avatar
Hey Coyote, are you still making a beta video of Driver San Francisco? :)
By Coyote
Badnick24 wrote:Hey Coyote, are you still making a beta video of Driver San Francisco? :)
Oops, thanks for reminding me! It's already been finished for months, I'll upload it tomorrow or maybe on the weekend :)

Hey, is that for really enabling Bodysnatchers che[…]

https://youtu.be/7UtWj3THgfg See for yourself! […]

https://youtu.be/_2yMdyltjIw Lucas in Nice takes […]

Crazy Copper Frenzy

https://youtu.be/xAE3QsULyB4