Discussion for Driver [EU] / Driver: You are the Wheelman [US] (1999)
Recently looking for some funk music in YouTube i've found some of the real songs included in Driver PC soundtrack. Need to find the rest.

This plays in Tanner's motel room.

Plays in the Interview.

Plays in San Francisco, day and night.

Plays in Desert level.

Plays in Newcastle.
By Badnick24
Registration Days Posts Posts Posts Avatar
Cool! Wonder why these weren't in the ps1 version. That would be cool if they put these songs in the next Driver's soundtrack (if they make it).
By Olanov
Badnick24 wrote:Cool! Wonder why these weren't in the ps1 version. That would be cool if they put these songs in the next Driver's soundtrack (if they make it).
Wonder why?

These were probably pretty high quality, let's say big and they were running on limited space and time.
By Wheelman75
Registration Days Posts Posts Posts Posts Avatar
Funny thing is, I actually came across the track that plays in SF because I saw the title in Driver's IMDb entry, which led me to believe that they'd used other tracks that hadn't specifically been composed for the game. Now, I still prefer the PSX soundtrack, but these tunes are kickin', too.
By k9Underdogg
My PC version didn't come with any music >:o not fair! It's supposed to be a legit original copy that I bought at a well known music and videogames shop. I don't know why it didn't come with music. I guess I'll try to download the tracks and burn them to another cd to play them in the game.
You may have been one of the unfortunate ones who got a "Jewel-case" copy. They have a very unique cover case, and the disc itself is unique. Downside? No music.

Can you take pictures of your case + disc to confirm this?
By k9Underdogg
There you go

Yes, I live in Argentina. It just came in a small CD case, no big box or anything :P and the manual is inside the CD as a pdf file.
By Olanov
I wonder if we could try and find out how the music loads up and where those tracks are stored in copies with music, so we could attempt to re-create that on copies without music? Sounds far fetched, but you never know.
By k9Underdogg
My version automatically plays the music from any audio CD I have in my computer's CD drive, and it plays one specific song from the CD for each city, I think. That's the same with all versions right?
By Olanov
I mostly wonder where are the tracks located in the CD. Maybe if we'd manage to burn the songs in the CD, somehow, we'd get them to play... I don't know, lol.

God damn copy with no music.
By Wheelman75
Registration Days Posts Posts Posts Posts Avatar
My copy is an American copy with jewel case. On Windows XP, the music would play, but it would only play the first few seconds of the track before skipping back to the beginning. On Windows Vista & 7, the music won't play at all.

Also, here's another tidbit regarding the music: I was unable to play the music files on any of my computers, but I put the disc into my PlayStation and was able to play it that way.
By helegad
Final original version track list for PC version:

1. Data track
2. Crispin Merrell - Huggy Bear (made for the game), ~1998
3. Dennis Farnon and Sound Studio Orchestra - The Rally, from SBH 3052 (Recorded Music For Film, Radio, & Television), 1974
4. Chris Lang and Eric Cunningham - Givem' The Shaft, from CM 004 (Phunky & Phat), 1996
5. David Lindup - Testing Time, from KPM 1112 (The Rhythm of Modern Life / Vaudeville), 1972
6. Lati Kronlund - Subway Tunnel Chase, from ATMOS-CD107 (Get Ahead In Funk Without Losing Your Cool), 1998
7. Crispin Merrell - Do Ya Feel Lucky? (made for the game), ~1998
8. Alan Parker - Punch Bowl, from KPM 1130 (Afro Rock), 1973
9. Powerhouse - Rough Ride, from Powerhouse's album "Five Plus Four" (PIL 9029), 1975
10. Powerhouse - Hole In One, from Powerhouse's album "Five Plus Four" (PIL 9029), 1975
Last edited by helegad on Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:47 pm, edited 5 times in total.
By Dream Thim
Registration Days Avatar
Hey helegad,

Track 3 is not "Kenyon Emrys-Roberts - Extra Energy" but "Dennis Farnon & Sound Studio Orchestra - The Rally" originally from the Boosey & Hawkes release "Recorded Music For Film, Radio & Television: Drama", 1974.
Indeed this track was also on the compilation "Fromage a la Funk" (as well as the "Soho Lounge Heat" one).

About "Testing Time" PostalDude is right, but it's the original long version (3:10), the shortened one featured in the game is from the KPM album "The Seventies", 1994 (KPM 238)
"Punch Bowl" is also the original longer version of the one which appears in the game (1:36) and also on this album (The Seventies), just after Testing Time, and named "Harlem Affair" (sounds like they took both from this album).

Just a detail too, the Powerhouse album is "Five Plus Four", originally released in 1975 on the label Peer International Library Limited (PIL 9029).

So we have :

1. Data track
2. Main menu
3. Dennis Farnon & Sound Studio Orchestra - The Rally, from the Boosey & Hawkes album "Recorded Music For Film, Radio & Television: Drama", 1974 (SBH 3052)
4. Miami
5. David Lindup - Testing Time, from the KPM album "The Seventies", 1994 (KPM 238)
6. Lati Kronlund - Subway Tunnel Chase, from the Atmosphere compilation album "Funk - How To Get Ahead In Funk Without Losing Your Cool", 1998
7. New York
8. Alan Parker - Harlem Affair, from the KPM album "The Seventies", 1994 (KPM 238)
9. Powerhouse - Rough Ride, from Powerhouse's album "Five Plus Four", 1975 (PIL 9029)
10. Powerhouse - Hole In One, from Powerhouse's album "Five Plus Four", 1975 (PIL 9029)

I was searching for those tracks for years, only 3 are missing ! Thanks for Lati Kronlund, how did you find it ?
Well let's now hope we'll find that main menu track before we die ! :P
By helegad
Ha, I didn't do anything special to find the Los Angeles track. Truth is, I just Shazamed it. Shazam gave me the "Extra Energy" result, by the way, so it could have been wrong again. That said, the track times seem to match up, and Lati Kronlund does similar-sounding work. I'm going to buy the album and see if it really is Subway Tunnel Chase.

Thanks for the help so far guys! :D

UPDATE:

From the man himself...

Amazing work!!

I remember myself downloading whichever track I could find off EMI's libraries last year. But I don't think it's possible to download anything anymore :(

Does someone have all of them already?
By helegad
I have everything in lossless format ripped from their original releases, except for Miami, New York, the theme, and Subway Tunnel Chase.

FYI, I have asked Lati about the three unknown tracks, he doesn't know what they are, so they can't be his work.
By Dream Thim
Registration Days Avatar
helegad wrote:The Theme and New York use a lot of the same samples. I daresay that if we find the original release of one, we find the other on the same LP/compilation.
Agreed on that, the drums samples and tempo are exactly the same, NY seems to be an extended version of the theme. They're obviously from the same artist.
Btw, if you hear really closely in the very end of the theme, at 2:27 & 2:43 there's the same exact guitar sample than in "Music" by Madonna !

About Subway Tunnel Chase actually I checked it, you can hear most of the tracks on their library labels web sites :

Here are the KPM albums with The Seventies (SF Testing Time & Harlem Affair),
The long versions : The Rhythm Of Modern Life / Vaudeville (SF Testing Time - long version) & Afro Rock (Punch Bowl - long version)
And here is Fromage A La Funk (The Rally).

Apparently all the tracks belong to library labels based in the UK, maybe we could find the 3 remaining more easily by searching this way.
(And of course, the production date should be before 2000, but not too far back as the sampling method sounds recent)
By helegad
I don't agree on New York Redbook being an extended mix of the theme, they're two different tracks for sure, but I do agree on them being more recent (late 90s, like Subway Tunnel Chase), and made by the same artist. I'll have a browse through that Killer Tracks library...
Crazy Copper Frenzy

https://youtu.be/xAE3QsULyB4

https://youtu.be/AxdGf3F0yIg

Driv3r "Nice Getaway"

https://youtu.be/CYkmGAPoO9s Lucas in Driv3r's Ni[…]

https://youtu.be/Yvc_xKrKhnc?si=k4I5kraarTXctHJp […]