Discussion for Driver [EU] / Driver: You are the Wheelman [US] (1999)
By Fireboyd78
I have obtained some images of Driver artwork that dates back anywhere from April to August of the year 1998. We're talking the very early alpha/beta stages of Driver, when concepts for the menu were still being considered and the logos were being created. There was even a speedometer and rev-counter considered at one point, however "The speedometer and revcounter were deemed distracting". 3 concept images for the main logo design for Driver were made in August 1998, but it would seem that "most team members were not impressed [with] the cover art[...]but at least it stood out in the shelves.". As for the menu buttons, they just simply "...didn't fit the style that was developed after it." Fair enough. Without further ado, here's an exclusive look at these never-before-seen images!

3 Driver logo concepts (August 1998)

Menu graphics buttons (July 1998)

Rev-counter concept (April 1998)

Speedometer concept (April 1998)

Enjoy!
By max.thunder
I would like to see more of this kind of stuff (from the different games of the series), it's really cool. Thanks for sharing!

A speedometer indeed would be very useful in Driver 2 and Driv3r because of the speed limit when the police is near.
By Fireboyd78
max.thunder wrote:I would like to see more of this kind of stuff (from the different games of the series), it's really cool. Thanks for sharing!

A speedometer indeed would be very useful in Driver 2 and Driv3r because of the speed limit when the police is near.
I'm very lucky to have obtained these in the first place. I've been on a quest for information for a couple of years now, some lead to dead ends, but others open up new areas to explore. :wink:
By CORONET
Registration Days Posts Avatar
max.thunder wrote:I would like to see more of this kind of stuff (from the different games of the series), it's really cool. Thanks for sharing!

In the PC version of driver there is a speedometer, which mark the speed limit but they are only letters and numbers.

And those brushes :shock:
By max.thunder
Yeah, i know that, that's why i said that a speedo would be useful in Driver 2 and Driv3r, because they don't have one.
By Wheelman75
Registration Days Posts Posts Posts Posts Avatar
CORONET wrote:

In the PC version of driver there is a speedometer, which mark the speed limit but they are only letters and numbers.

And those brushes :shock:
Speaking of that, I found it weird that if your car was going at max speed, then the speedo would top out at around 86-87 MPH (138-140 KPH) for most cars, yet it felt like you were going faster.

Anyways, this is some cool stuff here!

Hey, is that for really enabling Bodysnatchers che[…]

https://youtu.be/7UtWj3THgfg See for yourself! […]

https://youtu.be/_2yMdyltjIw Lucas in Nice takes […]

Crazy Copper Frenzy

https://youtu.be/xAE3QsULyB4