Discussion for Driver [EU] / Driver: You are the Wheelman [US] (1999)
By RaceCarDriver
Registration Days Posts
While surfing the net for the real names of Driver Cars, I came across this site:
http://www.drivergarage.i8.com

Just to summarize it up in my point of view.
The first car, as we all know, is a 1971 Buick Skylark(as confirmed in the missions code). Just a comparison with the real thing and you will see that it is close to except for the rear(Chevelle like in PSX). I give it a 2/5(3/5 for the beta model/textures in nc.lev, 4/5 for the Beta Red Skylark in the desert level) for the looks.

Second Car, or truck, is a 1979 Ford F250. I give it a 4/5(5/5 for the beta textures in flat.lev) for the looks.

Third car, the 1977 Buick Regal, looks very close to the real thing except for the front lights and real. I give it a 4/5 rating.

Fourth, a 1966 Ford Fairlane(or what reflections call it as a Farlane) looks very close to the real one except for the front lights, which is squared instead of being round. 4.5/5 for the looks.

Fifth, the "SUPERFLY" Car, is a 1968 Dodge Charger. It is not a 1968 Camaro Z/28 even though it has a blue with black stripe paint job which was applied to real Camaros, the bulge in the hood and the bit that sticks up at the back are reminiscent of a camaro and also the letters 28 Z are part of the number plate. However, as identified as a Charger ingame, so it is a CHARGER, not a Camaro(Reflections has made it not look like a Charger by putting Charger textures into a Camaro model). 4/5(5/5 for the beta model in flat.lev) for the looks.

Next, the 1974 Ford Torino looks quite close to the original in body shape, but textures wise it looks different. 3/5 for the looks.

Next up, is the 1972 Chevrolet Nova. Rear lights have slightly been changed. 4/5 for the looks.

Next, is a Tan Brown version of the 1979 Cadillac Deville(Seville in PSX) 4.5/5(5/5 for beta textures in Flat.lev) for the looks.

Ninth car is the 1970 Pontiac Lemans. In the game, it is basically a Lemans coupe with side from the Lemans Estate. The front also looks different from the original even though the model looks the same. 3/5 for the looks.

Next, a 1971 Chevrolet Chevelle, looks fairly close to the original except for the front and rear which has gone through some slight changes. 3.5/5 for the looks.

Next, the Police car, is a 1979 Dodge St Regis Patrol Car. 4/5(4.5/5 for the beta model in flat.lev, 5/5 for the beta P1 cop car) for its looks.

The twelve car, is a 1969 Pontiac Grand Prix(as confirmed in the missions code). In the game, texture changes make it look for like a Ford Galaxie even though model is unchanged. 3.5/5(5/5 for the beta textures in Flat.lev) for the looks.

Next one, a 1974 Chevrolet Camaro. In my opinion, it's front even looks better than the original(Reflections employees did a good job in modifying the front of this car. 4.5/5 for the looks.

Fourteen car is a 1975 Ford Granada Taxi. Looks quite like the real thing. 4.5/5 for the looks.

Fifteen car is a Blue 1979 Cadillac Deville(Seville in PSX). 4.5/5 for the looks.

Sixteen car is the Newcastle's 1975 Jaguar XJ6 (Sovereign). It is identified in the missions code as a Jaguar also. Looks close to the original from the side, slight changes with the front and rear could be noticed. 4/5 for the looks.

Next car is the 1960 Ferrari 250 SWB GT. I just wonder why many sites or people call it a Jaguar(Why? Because of the front??). So now on the site, real pictures have proven that it is a Ferrari, look at the sides, the rear and the body shape. Hope this will help you believe that it is indeed a Ferrari. 4/5 for the looks due to the Jaguar-like front. This car does not exist in the PSX version of the game.

Last but not least, the fast and famous 1955 Ford Thunderbird. It is pretty obvious that it is a Thunderbird, judging from the textures, the body shape, the colors. The only different I could find was the inclusion of another brake lamp. 5/5 for the looks.This car does not exist in the PSX version of the game.

Now for the special cars that are only in the PSX version of the game.
1. The SUPER FAMOUS YELLOW and BLACK BUICK GSX. Looks fabulous. Front is from a 1970 GSX and rear from a 1972 version. 5/5 for the looks.

2. A 1971 Chevrolet Monte Carlo from the PSX version of Luther's Heap of Junk. Looks like a mix between it and the Buick Regal(Front). 4/5 for the looks.

Hope this clears your doubts(if any on the real cars of Driver)

More info about the cars can be seen on the site.
By someone972
Registration Days Posts Posts Posts Avatar
If the texture names in the level files are anything to go by then the "Charger" is actually a "Camaro" (quoted since it's really neither :wink: )
By Clutch
Registration Days Posts Posts Posts Posts Avatar
On the site posted by RaceCarDriver is an error - final Black Miami car isn't Buick Skylark, it is 72 Chevelle

Hey, but I said already, it looks VERY similar to 68 Charger:
Round rear lamps, square front... Show me any Camaro similar to D1 Superfly.
By TA1LGATER
Registration Days Posts Posts Posts Avatar
Clutch wrote:On the site posted by RaceCarDriver is an error - final Black Miami car isn't Buick Skylark, it is 72 Chevelle
wow!!!!! at last, I saw a car that really look like the miami car of Driver psx!!!!!!!
By Fireboyd78
The final car in Miami is not a Chevelle. Just because the back of it is a Chevelle does not automatically make it a Chevelle. It was intended to be a Skylark, but due to licensing issues (I don't think they even pursued licenses) they had to change them drastically. I have done comparisons before and it does seem that they might have borrowed inspiration from a '72 Chevelle for the rear end (remember, Reflections didn't have any licenses for these cars - they needed to be fantasy cars!)

So really, the site isn't wrong at all. The final PURPLE/BLACK Miami car is a Buick Skylark with a Chevelle inspired rear. And the CAMARO is not a Charger, I'm sure the body was inspired by a Charger but nothing else. Remember, as I just said, they did not have licensing rights - so therefore, these cars needed to be completely made up. Take for example the truck - does it look like an F250? No, it's too low to the ground and it looks more like a 1980s Dodge Ram.

We can never be for sure what cars these really were. For all we know, they went to junkyards and took pictures of cars far beyond repair and used those to make what we know today as the cars of Driver.

-Dr. Doom

Hey, is that for really enabling Bodysnatchers che[…]

https://youtu.be/7UtWj3THgfg See for yourself! […]

https://youtu.be/_2yMdyltjIw Lucas in Nice takes […]

Crazy Copper Frenzy

https://youtu.be/xAE3QsULyB4