Discussion for Driver [EU] / Driver: You are the Wheelman [US] (1999)
By Nikusakken
In terms of gameplay, I take the PS1 version. Simple due I have a better controls over the cars, specially when skiding. In the PC, however, I don't have the same feel and sometimes it seems that I'm going to do acidentally do a 360
By cleone
Nick Brasil wrote:In terms of gameplay, I take the PS1 version. Simple due I have a better controls over the cars, specially when skiding. In the PC, however, I don't have the same feel and sometimes it seems that I'm going to do acidentally do a 360� turn and lose the control of it.

Also the garage mission on the PC seems to be much more difficulty and the clock seems to ends up way too fast, while in the PS1 it seems more easy and the clock looks like slower.

My thoughts on it.
Same here. That is all of the things that got me to like the PS1 version the most.
By someone972
Registration Days Posts Posts Posts Avatar
I have only played the PC version, so naturally that's my favorite. I'm also big on graphics, so being able to set it to 1280x1024 is pretty sweet 8) . Can't wait until I get all of my new computer so I can play with forced antialiasing.
By Nikusakken
Nick Brasil wrote:In terms of gameplay, I take the PS1 version. Simple due I have a better controls over the cars, specially when skiding. In the PC, however, I don't have the same feel and sometimes it seems that I'm going to do acidentally do a 360� turn and lose the control of it.

Also the garage mission on the PC seems to be much more difficulty and the clock seems to ends up way too fast, while in the PS1 it seems more easy and the clock looks like slower.

My thoughts on it.
Huh... I changed my opinion on that. Now that I've been playing the PC version more, I'm enjoying it way more than the PS1 version. Funny how people change their opinions.
By Fireboyd78
yeh, me too, now that theres a texture editor and all
Sedans wrote:i perfer the psx version and always have. the game looks crispier, grittier, more vivid colors.

the pc version can piss off.
Agreed.

The PSX always had a better feeling while playing, felt really promising.
The PC Version felt kinda Empty.
if you just look at the difference between the two san fran's its too great.

The ps1 one's sky is so blue, the sun is cool lookin, the grass is greener

Pc was just no.

They did the same thing with saints row. SR1 had a warm feeling to it, the colors were vivid and the game was enjoyable. saints row 2 the colors were darker, plainer.. it just wasnt the same good feeling.
PSX ver has better-lookin cars, better-lookin Frisco and has some LITTLE, but very important for me positives: PSX version has better positioned chase camera during driving a car, and has one thing which is missing in PC version and driving me mad: dynamic action!

When you drive every car (excepting Thunderbird and Ferrari) on straight road, with V-max, you can asleep! No action, speedometer says, that you are driving above 80 mph, but it looks like 40!
In PSX version your Chevelle (the "Black -released version- Buick" is Chevrolet Chevelle '71 in fact) is FLYING, you are driving it f***ing fast!!!

However, in fact, Chevelle in PSX ISN'T faster than PC crapy Buick. No. This feeling is caused by LITTLE RESOLUTION. Yes. Little resolution. I tried it one time in the past on W98. It was wonderful to me. But now I twista-vista and it sucks, because I can set at least 640x480 resolution only. It's too big.

So my question sounds - can anybody do it and give me CONFIG.DAT with smaller resolution? Please :)
The PlayStation version is far superior to me. The PC's graphics are quite good but they don't have the same feel that the PlayStation's graphics had. And worst of all, the PC version replaced Driver's great soundtrack and replaced it with non-fitting rubbish.
Yes, the Playstation version is better, because of the controls and the older texture/graphics engine just suites that game for the PS. Superior graphics don't work with Driver, Driver 2 does have a slightly more down graded graphics than the original. But getting out of the vehicle does make up for that.
I've been playing the PSX ver. since 2000 so natuuuuurally it's my FAVORITE, I just started playing the PC version in 2010 lol, I like the pSX more, better looking craphics, cooler music, much much much better music actually and moore various Traffic cars, so many different Traffic cars in the PSX version, in each city there are different, in the PC in each city the Traffic cars are the same. :P

So PSX all the way! :mrgreen:
Runo wrote:I've been playing the PSX ver. since 2000 so natuuuuurally it's my FAVORITE, I just started playing the PC version in 2010 lol, I like the pSX more, better looking craphics, cooler music, much much much better music actually and moore various Traffic cars, so many different Traffic cars in the PSX version, in each city there are different, in the PC in each city the Traffic cars are the same. :P

So PSX all the way! :mrgreen:
I actually can't get used to the amount of traffic that spawns in the pc version xD
PS1 version is the one I grew up with even though it was insanely hard back then when I was 8 or so I fell in love with it, still in my list of favorite games.
And the music: I love it, Allister did an amazing job composing a really great soundtrack. Never had a chance to hear the music in the pc version though.
I just purchased a copy of Driver for the Playstation over a week back.

I'm on the last city, Granger's gang car mission. A lot of police head after by the second last car.

Reflecting back on the two versions, I do actually like the PC more because of the enhanced graphics, the choice of cars without the need for a cheat disc that now costs far too much for such old tech, but I like the Playstation's indicator lights more than the PC copy.

Also in the Miami city, I remember one mission when driving the red miami two seater car, you would get chased by some cars. Though I don't remember doing this in the PS version. Is it possible some missions are optional and are skipped once on the main story missions?

Hey, is that for really enabling Bodysnatchers che[…]

https://youtu.be/7UtWj3THgfg See for yourself! […]

https://youtu.be/_2yMdyltjIw Lucas in Nice takes […]

Crazy Copper Frenzy

https://youtu.be/xAE3QsULyB4