Want to know some news about the game, Find out in here!
By Coyote
So, I’ve watched the Ubisoft conference at the E3 live tonight, and sadly I have to say there was no Driver game. The highlight however was “The Crew”, which kind of scared me to be honest, because it’s so similar to Driver: San Francisco in so many points, you could think that DSF was the last Driver game.

Here’s the CG clip which was shown first.
It’s just CG, but the cars you see here are the cars that you can drive in the game as well. Most cars have been taken from DSF, I didn’t see a car yet that wasn’t in DSF. Even the Asym Desanne is included in the game. You can see it somewhere in this clip, and later also as Taxis in the gameplay footage.

I was first really impressed by this video, thought it was the real game. Licensed vehicles, damage looked epic, there was a cockpit view too, and simply the fact it looked photo-realistic impressed me. Only later I got that it was not actual gameplay.

Here’s a video of the gameplay:
And now some facts…

- The game has HUGE map. It plays in all of the US. There are 4 cities (seen in previous Driver games), which are Miami, New York, Las Vegas and Chicago.
- You can drive from one city to another thanks to highways, and other roads
- This means there are rural areas too, there are all kinds of areas actually, ranging from cities to deserts, to mountains
- There’s some sort of shift, but without shifting. Basically just floating above the map, I don’t think you can shift however.
- The game is clearly based on Driver: San Francisco’s multiplayer. Everything is team based (hence the name “The Crew”) and lots of game modes remind of Driver: San Francisco’s team modes.
- There isn’t really a story it seems
- One of the game modes can be played in single player too it seems. There’s a race from somewhere in Nevada to Las Vegas I believe, one of the player is driving a Mustang GT500. It’s made for roads so he has to take the roads, it’s a fast car but the roads are longer then if you’d cut through the countryside, etc. Another player is driving a Ford F-150 pickup. This car is slower, but with this vehicle the players is able to cut through valleys and mountains and forests, etc. If played in single players, you will see your opponent’s ghost car.
- Another game mode seems to be based on Takedown in Driver: SF. Three players were trying to stop a Hummer in Miami. Miami itself looks epic by the way, so much better than in Driver 3. Especially when seen from the beach
- You can’t run over pedestrians
- You can’t get out of the car
- In the CG clip, you can see a cockpit view, not sure if it will be included in the game too
- The damage in the game itself looks meh
- You can modify vehicles. Completely! Much more than in DSF. You could take a car and turn it into a race car for the track, or into a rally car. You can change tires and engines, and gearboxes and whatever.
- There’s no online lobby, it all takes place in “one world”
- There are no invisible walls like in DSF, you can cut through parks and rivers and beaches
- The driving looks very arcade-ish, and the whole game has a NFS-esque feeling. It also remind of Midnight Club or TDU. I see no heavy drifting or counter-steering, the cars handle as if they were out of paper

I’m still interested in the game. Just the fact that you can drive from one city to another is insane. I find that really impressive :P

I hope the damage and physics will improve, I can’t wait to make Gumball 3000 style races, racing from NY to LV, with no direct path — just everyone for himself, and the first to arrive in LV has won. I love that kind of races!
I also hope we see more police action.

I think that’s it so far, I might have forgotten some things, however.
By Badnick24
Registration Days Posts Posts Posts Avatar
Cool but I really was hoping it'd be like an undercover cop game :(

Regardless, it look great.
By Coyote
Badnick24 wrote:Cool but I really was hoping it'd be like an undercover cop game :(

Apparently you’re also an undercover cop infiltrating into street racing to take them out ;) The end of the Driver saga?
By Olanov
Coyote wrote:The end of the Driver saga?
Not unless they'll say so.

I hope they prepare the cities to look way more alive and with A LOT more traffic and pedestrians minding their business. Another thing I thought was funny, was that they were saying how "bystanders are running around beach, looking for cover" even though they're just standing around or walking calmly. But yeah, I hope they fix up the dead cities and give us police cars to ride. Then it's a buy for me. Otherwise I'll just stick to V, PAYDAY 2 and yeah, that's about it.

Proper AI cops plz.
Last edited by Olanov on Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
By PostalDude
Coyote wrote:
Badnick24 wrote:Cool but I really was hoping it'd be like an undercover cop game :(

Apparently you’re also an undercover cop infiltrating into street racing to take them out ;) The end of the Driver saga?
Inb4 that cop is Tanner.
By Coyote
They don’t need to say so, there’s enough games that died where they didn’t loose a word about it. I didn’t think the cities looked dead by the way, lots of people on the beach, lots of parked cars (really missed that in DSF), a bit less traffic, that’s true. I hope to see some traffic jams and similar. But I really hope that handling and damage system will improve.
By Olanov
There were like close to none walking on the sidewalks though, and that's what put it really off.
By Coyote
True, I don’t think I’ve ever seen as many in a game as in DSF.

What I think is cool is that you can play the “Story” mode with your friends. That’s another thing I loved in a few PS2 games long time ago, like one of the James Bond’s, or Starsky & Hutch. You were able to play the whole story mode with a friend :)
By Fab2cent
Registration Days Posts Posts Posts Posts Avatar
this game is like my dream nfs, free roam like skyrim and full on customization TIME TO PREORDER
By TheEngiGuy
I was expecting good crashes and cockpit view too, but overall it doesn't seem bad. The fact that it is also co-op with friends is amazing!
We should play together when it will come out!
By Coyote
Well I think it’s mainly co-op, and if you’re playing single player it’s still multiplayer oriented, because it’s always against other players, against ghost cars basically, so you could compare it to challenges in DSF with online leader boards.

I’m not sure if there will be a cockpit view actually, the CG trailer shows one. Also, I’m not too sure about the customisation. Cars look ugly as hell, especially those Dirt cars. I know that everyone will be driving off-road monster Lamborghini’s that look like transformers :lol: I prefer stock cars honestly.
By Fab2cent
TheEngiGuy wrote:I was expecting good crashes and cockpit view too, but overall it doesn't seem bad. The fact that it is also co-op with friends is amazing!
We should play together when it will come out!
Yer we should play, have a drive across America hahaha
By Steerclear
I obviously could be wrong, but I don't think it'll be the end of Driver, considering Driver SF was a re- boot to the franchise and it did particularly well in game sales (or better than expected) with pretty good critical score (not forgetting the fact that it's a well known franchise), Ubisoft would lose out on a lot of money.

Having said that there are some similarities like you said, like Takedown mode for example. Running pedestrians over with licensed vehicles will probably be a no-no for a very long time, maybe forever, in any driving game. Also, saying they have the same cars as Driver SF would be likely anyway due to the fact it had many famous and popular cars in it, it's a bit like saying SF has the same cars as Forza Motorsport 4. Not getting out of the car and walking around is similar to many driving games, Test Drive Unlimited, Midnight Club LA, NFS Most Wanted (2012) and going back in time a bit, Midtown Madness series. However, there are only a limited amount of things you can do in driving games anyway. Chase, race, escape etc. Plus due to it being a mainly online game, would mean team game modes, that's all they seem doing with new platforms unfortunately. The only thing I can think is, is that Driver is a proper story based Driving game so it's still got something going for it.

I do like the look of this game and it's the only driving game/ game that has made me think of buying one of the new platforms, probably PS4, due to XBOX ONE'S many downsides. Hope this game is as good as it looks! :D
By Coyote
When I said it uses the cars from DSF, I actually meant that it uses the 3D models from DSF :P I don’t think they’ve been remodelled form scratch, you can even see the Asym Desanne in several clips. The Asym Desanne is a vehicle from DSF, and it doesn’t appear in Forza or any other game :P They’ve copied all the vehicles to the new game basically.

Driver still has an open story (I want to know the end!), and obviously it was a “Hit”. It’s just weird to see this game, and it’s by Ubisoft. That’s as if Rockstar made another very similar game to GTA, see what I mean? It almost seems like Driver: SF was just a concept game to test a few things (if these things work for the players or not) and every other game is using it’s resources now (such as Watch Dogs or The Crew). You know, as if they didn’t want to risk to include these things in a big name/big production. Which would make sense. In that case, the next Driver game would probably be a concept game as well, testing out new things which would eventually be used in other Ubisoft’s games, in case they worked in Driver. If not, then they probably think it isn’t a big loss, since not so much money was put into it (compared to Watch Dogs for example). Maybe that’s the only reason why they bought the Driver license actually :P
By Nikusakken
I really liked how the customization works, specially because you tear apart the whole car. And the lack of an invisible wall is great too, as I hated that in San Francisco for being a silly thing for an open world game to do.
By Coyote
Then Driver 1 must have been sh*tty too because it had invisible walls? :P No honestly I never understood why people cared about it, they never bothered me too much.
By Steerclear
Coyote wrote:Then Driver 1 must have been sh*tty too because it had invisible walls? :P No honestly I never understood why people cared about it, they never bothered me too much.
Didn't see the bit where he wrote 'driver san fran is sh*tty'. Also comparing Driver San Francisco to Driver 1 is silly, SF was out over 10 years later which had jumps and vehicle ramps making you look like you could jump anywhere, even with 3 foot high fences that you couldn't go over. I love San Fran still, but they could of at least allowed a little more 'open world' in some bits.

Anyway, The Crew looks fantastic and it is an open world game that San Fran should of been like, sort of.
By max.thunder
The concept looks great and the off road driving, i hated DSF for not having that, wish the driving physics were at least something like DSF. And Miami look beauty, just Driv3r nostalgia. 8)

I hope to see a new Driver at least in 2015.
By Coyote
Who knows, maybe they’ll change it! Apparently DSF had a similar handling at the start (even the demo had), and it was changed later to a more realistic handling. Hopes die last :P

And absolutely, Miami looks stunning. It reminds me of Driver 3 as well. Especially in that side street, near the Ocean Drive, with the dark red line in the middle, not sure if you know what I mean.

And I hope to see a new Driver this year (at least announced).
By max.thunder
Coyote wrote: Especially in that side street, near the Ocean Drive..
(Y)

The creative director of The Crew confirmed that going in a straight line from coast to coast with the fastest vehicle takes 1 and half hour.
By Coyote
I’ve watched this video earlier which includes slightly different video material (some scenes are really impressive) and they’ve said it takes 2 hours from coast to coast.
So between 1 ½ hour and 2 hours depending on the roads you take. Quite impressive. Imagine playing a match with your friends on a monday night, against some strangers, for 2 hours or so, endurance racing from coast to coast — any roads, no rules :P Wow, so cool!

By the way, the idea of the game reminds of Europe Racer (or Europe Racing, it had both names), except this here takes place in the US and Europe Racer was one of the worst games ever :lol: I liked it however because there was my city, it was funny to see everything at it’s right place. (you can even see my university haha)

Europe Racer was based on the Cannonball Run and Gumball Run, same with TDU and now also with The Crew :P I really like the idea, I love these kinds of races.
By Klancnik777
holy cow! 1-2 hours from coast to coast? dayum i need to play this game with my friends (and with you guys of course) ;)
By Coyote
PostalDude wrote:In Miami I noticed the DSF city bus model, no point in pointing the ASYM out however.
Nice find, didn’t see this one :) I really believe that they copied most vehicles straight from DSF without even bothering to remodel them. I’ve seen some new additions too, however.

Who knows, we might see vehicles that were removed from DSF again, such as the Ferrari Enzo, or the Audi A8.
By Steerclear
Some more gameplay, taking place in New York! This game is looking better and better.
By Coyote
I don’t like the look of New York, the pinkish fog reminds me of some early GTA 5 screens where they were trying to “hide” the background because else the game would probably be clipping.

Miami looks nice, however. I really like it :)

The cars don’t seem to get damaged, however, and the collisions with civilian cars are just terrible. It’s like infinite mass mode in Driver 3 haha!

I also don’t think you can tune your car the way you want it BTW, it seems like there’s two models for each car, a normal/race one, and an off-road one and you can only choose between the two.
By PostalDude
Noticed the DSF schoolbus, armored car, and Vandorn box truck(turned into a ice cream truck), also, they're using the DSF ped screams. :mrgreen:
Crazy Copper Frenzy

https://youtu.be/xAE3QsULyB4

https://youtu.be/AxdGf3F0yIg

Driv3r "Nice Getaway"

https://youtu.be/CYkmGAPoO9s Lucas in Driv3r's Ni[…]

https://youtu.be/Yvc_xKrKhnc?si=k4I5kraarTXctHJp […]