Free-for-all discussion!
By helegad
Registration Days Posts Posts Posts Avatar
Topics are derailed left right and center, silly arguments abound where misinformation is fought with misinformation, the English language is thoroughly butchered on a regular basis, and the users with higher post counts talk sh*t about other "classic" members.

Where is the moderation in this place? Can't we set some sort of standard for posting? This place could be great if there was more of a social presence and competitions and REAL discussions.
Are you sure you're talking about this forum and not PAYDAY 2's forums?

In all seriousness, I honestly find this place to be more peaceful than most of other videogame communities out there, probably because there aren't many active people.
If you find some posts to be rude or stupid, you probably should talk to a moderator privately.
There actually were standards and an entire thread for the rules, I even read it. Moderation seems to be slower then the already slow community due to the lack of active members just like Engieguy said. It looks like some members forgot the rules and new members arent reading them. There are countless rules that I've seen many users bypass without a care in the world. http://drivermadness.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=285
Last edited by VAIMAHDO on Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Rules are no good for an internet forum if they're determined on the basis of political correctness, eg. no swearing; how does that benefit anyone? There's a difference between using a cuss word for emphasis and just coating your post history with them. In that case, a mod should warn that person individually. Cuss words can be appropriate and add to the value of a post sometimes on the basis of emphasis.

Another idea: A guides section. There can be a contribution form where we write guides for all of the missions, secrets, cars, etc. in the Driver series. To stand out from pre-existing internet guides on Driver, we can set standards such as the use of max-graphics PC pictures when referring to the PC version, and real PSX snapshots through a capture card. How about a car database? There are enough modders around here that at least one might be interested in giving us an isometric angle of each car in a Driver game on a plain background, and we can add a description underneath. Those of us who cannot speak English effectively can leave the writing to those of us who can, and contribute in other ways (pictures, sound, etc.)
All great ideas. As for the cussing stuff I was just giving an example. I honestly don't care but I was simply giving an example.
"isometric angle of each car in a Driver game on a plain background, and we can add a description underneath. "
I should do that.
helegad wrote:Rules are no good for an internet forum if they're determined on the basis of political correctness, eg. no swearing; how does that benefit anyone? There's a difference between using a cuss word for emphasis and just coating your post history with them. In that case, a mod should warn that person individually. Cuss words can be appropriate and add to the value of a post sometimes on the basis of emphasis.

Another idea: A guides section. There can be a contribution form where we write guides for all of the missions, secrets, cars, etc. in the Driver series. To stand out from pre-existing internet guides on Driver, we can set standards such as the use of max-graphics PC pictures when referring to the PC version, and real PSX snapshots through a capture card. How about a car database? There are enough modders around here that at least one might be interested in giving us an isometric angle of each car in a Driver game on a plain background, and we can add a description underneath. Those of us who cannot speak English effectively can leave the writing to those of us who can, and contribute in other ways (pictures, sound, etc.)
This guy knows what's up. (Y)
When I get back home this weekend I'll start on a guide sample.

I realize there is a Wikia attached to this site but I'm sure we can do much better than that. I'm no HTML genius but I could probably throw together something that looks alright and isn't totally derivative of Wikipedia; that said, I'd rather leave the coding up to the site administrator and either work on design, writing, and/or captures. I'm not imagining anything fancy with a bloated CSS or Java applet, just an easy to navigate, informative and interesting bunch of pages relating to each game.

I have just purchased a cheap USB capture thing to get genuine screenshots from my PSX version of Driver and Driver 2.
Bump.

I haven't forgotten about this. My EasyCap arrived yesterday but I cannot play my PS version of Driver due to a bad CD drive (18 years later and it finally bit the bucket). A new one is on its way.

I heartily encourage more forum members to contribute articles, pictures, layouts, etc.

Admin, where are you? What do you think of this?
helegad wrote:Bump.

I haven't forgotten about this. My EasyCap arrived yesterday but I cannot play my PS version of Driver due to a bad CD drive (18 years later and it finally bit the bucket). A new one is on its way.

I heartily encourage more forum members to contribute articles, pictures, layouts, etc.

Admin, where are you? What do you think of this?
Hello, back in 2008 I had a vision for a dedicated Driver Wiki. I started off by taking pictures off every single car (at different angles) in DRIV3R and creating their own profile page. I was going to grab the important stats out of the DRIV3R guide and include those details as well as well as anything else that could interest anyone out there. I also intended to get every single file in DRIV3R's PC file directory a explanation. Unfortunately, I had very big eyes undertaking such a large project mostly by myself. I must look on my hard drives for all the pages I had created for that Wiki. I may even have the MediaWiki script with associated database hidden somewhere in one of my site backups.

I intended to do so much. But as with this site I begin to get unwell in 2009 and let bb control this site. I still drop by every now and then. I'm about to catch up on everything. These days I have more time than usual trying to recover. I'm beginning some double-blind trials soon hopefully that helps me if I'm not given placebo.

I reckon it's a good idea, but spending lots of time on things and not as many people are into the driver scene these days to take in the content. I have this feeling Ubisoft might not have any plans for driver for a while. Having ubisoft reflections focusing on other titles with other ubi dev teams. But perhaps they have a small team working on something fresh and have their team split up working on titles like Watch Dogs and The Crew.

I'll try and be more active here. I won't forget you guys. You will be there :)
I have to agree with the original poster, the topics do go off track. Also, it's not uncommon to open a thread from the home page only to discover the second most recent reply goes back 3 years. Where this is the case, it would really be better to add new threads.

As for swearing, I see no problem with it; its a discussion forum, people curse in real life.

However, the use of words "such" as retard so freely and fervently do somewhat bring down the credibility of posters/the site. I'm all for free-speech but the word is offensive and it just makes it users appear stupid and un-educated. This isn't an attack on the above posters though :)

Another improvement I would love to see is the theme of the site changed; light grey and white text can be very hard to read, and though I've got good vision, the tiny text is a little bit of an impediment. Also, the "most recent" posts could be moved "above the fold" on the homepage if you know what I mean.

Sorry for the possibly preachy rant :)

Also, how about organising online games of Driver San Francisco from time to time, provided there enough people with matching consoles, or PCs?
emmetmcl wrote:I have to agree with the original poster, the topics do go off track. Also, it's not uncommon to open a thread from the home page only to discover the second most recent reply goes back 3 years. Where this is the case, it would really be better to add new threads.

As for swearing, I see no problem with it; its a discussion forum, people curse in real life.

However, the use of words "such" as retard so freely and fervently do somewhat bring down the credibility of posters/the site. I'm all for free-speech but the word is offensive and it just makes it users appear stupid and un-educated. This isn't an attack on the above posters though :)

Another improvement I would love to see is the theme of the site changed; light grey and white text can be very hard to read, and though I've got good vision, the tiny text is a little bit of an impediment. Also, the "most recent" posts could be moved "above the fold" on the homepage if you know what I mean.

Sorry for the possibly preachy rant :)

Also, how about organising online games of Driver San Francisco from time to time, provided there enough people with matching consoles, or PCs?
I agree with basically everything said here, except topic bumping doesn't really bother me, except most of the users from then are long gone.
I wouldn't necessarily call them "retards"....but...we get some strange people on this forum...

It's weird...for such an unknown game, we get some reeeeeally strange people.
Let's not derail this topic into an arguments about semantics. Maybe a better word than "retard" could have been found, provided I was not drinking the night I started this topic. The whole idea is that this place has so much potential, no matter how small the community; I just want to see this place become something a little classier than it is.

Admin, I hope you are okay :)
helegad wrote:Let's not derail this topic into an arguments about semantics. Maybe a better word than "retard" could have been found, provided I was not drinking the night I started this topic. The whole idea is that this place has so much potential, no matter how small the community; I just want to see this place become something a little classier than it is.

I have the same view on this website. I see so much potential, and there is a lot I could do to even help it thrive. Not only that I can do, but that all of us members could do. I have almost left like many other newer members did, but I just felt potential with this site, so I stayed. Class is definitely a great start to the journey to this site's success, this can also attract members and make new ones feel comfortable.
I had a rather messy start to the site, and some member's lack of class and support didn't help at all. I am probably considered one of this site's "Retards" or whatever I would be categorized as, and there is a simply reason why my entrance was messy. Some members couldn't update their minds to certain members such as myself, so I and possibly a few others are still commonly seen as an "unwanted" member.

Back to helping the site thrive. For example, I'm about to start making Driver parody/animations. This would attract people to the site, and also might bring more attention to the site on our current members. SOAP's project is a very interesting one, he should advertise it on YouTube or something and have a link to this site in the description to view updates and progress, etc. The multiplayer aspect of that project is a HUGE aspect, and this will interest many people who play Driver games.

I'm just giving out ideas.
DaRkProDucTioNs00 wrote:
helegad wrote:Let's not derail this topic into an arguments about semantics. Maybe a better word than "retard" could have been found, provided I was not drinking the night I started this topic. The whole idea is that this place has so much potential, no matter how small the community; I just want to see this place become something a little classier than it is.

I have the same view on this website. I see so much potential, and there is a lot I could do to even help it thrive. Not only that I can do, but that all of us members could do. I have almost left like many other newer members did, but I just felt potential with this site, so I stayed. Class is definitely a great start to the journey to this site's success, this can also attract members and make new ones feel comfortable.
I had a rather messy start to the site, and some member's lack of class and support didn't help at all. I am probably considered one of this site's "Retards" or whatever I would be categorized as, and there is a simply reason why my entrance was messy. Some members couldn't update their minds to certain members such as myself, so I and possibly a few others are still commonly seen as an "unwanted" member.

Back to helping the site thrive. For example, I'm about to start making Driver parody/animations. This would attract people to the site, and also might bring more attention to the site on our current members. SOAP's project is a very interesting one, he should advertise it on YouTube or something and have a link to this site in the description to view updates and progress, etc. The multiplayer aspect of that project is a HUGE aspect, and this will interest many people who play Driver games.

I'm just giving out ideas.
Your posts are coherent and detailed, from what I have noticed. That's a big step above what I was referring to.

Parodies sound like a great idea :) I want to create Driver playthroughs for each version; unfortunately my EasyCap was a counterfeit piece of garbage and didn't work correctly so I threw it where it belonged. Now I'm back to square one; my replacement PS1 CD drive should have arrived by now but that's a no-show. Fuuuu-

As far as quality members go, where do we draw the line on post quality? There's a Brazilian kid floating around here that consistently makes little to no sense when he posts...
Fab2cent wrote:
madness wrote:But as with this site I begin to get unwell in 2009 and let bb control this site.
You have been sick?!?!? are you ok?
helegad wrote:Admin, I hope you are okay :)
Thanks for the get well kind of wishes :)

I don't really discuss my health issues on a public forum and haven't even discussed my full diagnosis to my family yet.
That could be because it's a mixture of things and there is a very gray area towards what I really have and I want to be certain before I start letting everyone know.

In terms of being able to function normally in life, since symptoms started in 2009 it's been a bumpy ride. I'm now on a relatively high dose of medication which is helping but I feel far from who I was back in late 2008 -early 2009 at a stage I was at my prime. Plus the darn side effects. To all those concerned it's not life threatening, just a royal pain in the ass. If you want to learn more I might share some more information feel free to PM me, I find what I suffer from quite unique and interesting since my particular symptoms aren't very common together.

Also I remember I was a bit of a retard here at one stage. Hopefully I didn't annoy anyone. I was more doing it to entertain people here. But I guess that got old and I'm back to myself.

GET TO THE CHOPPA :specialdriver:
Sorry just had to put that there, there is a little retard in all of us :mrgreen:
helegad wrote:There's a Brazilian kid floating around here that consistently makes little to no sense when he posts...
helkensinken? I like him, he could be like our funny little mascot monkey!

"i can speak 2 languages: english,portuguese(my native language), a bit of spanish(is not valid)."
-helkensinken, 2014

is not valid indeed, helken.
pete wrote:
helegad wrote:There's a Brazilian kid floating around here that consistently makes little to no sense when he posts...

"i can speak 2 languages: english,portuguese(my native language), a bit of spanish(is not valid)."
-helkensinken, 2014

He has the IQ of a bag of rocks, totally mascot material.
helegad wrote: Your posts are coherent and detailed, from what I have noticed. That's a big step above what I was referring to.

Parodies sound like a great idea :) I want to create Driver playthroughs for each version; unfortunately my EasyCap was a counterfeit piece of garbage and didn't work correctly so I threw it where it belonged. Now I'm back to square one; my replacement PS1 CD drive should have arrived by now but that's a no-show. Fuuuu-

As far as quality members go, where do we draw the line on post quality? There's a Brazilian kid floating around here that consistently makes little to no sense when he posts...
I have a very reliable capture card, which is pretty underpriced for it's level of reliability. The cons are it only records in 480i, so no HD videos on newer hardware consoles. Also if you have a faster computer, recording will be butter smooth experience with no delay. I have a slight delay and some performance issues because of my Pentium B940. The second con is recording sound is only compatible with Windows XP, this means any OS you run this capture card on will not record sound, unless it's Windows XP. But you can set it up to record sound from your microphone. I would give you a link to see the capture card, but I have forgotten what capture card I have purchased. I'll have a look later.

For drawing a line for quality members... That's a harder question to answer then it should be.. Well, I guess I can say members are classy if they don't directly insult members that haven't done any harm, really broken English "u aer a gud men, I liek tu plae drevur sand fransisko" I would say is a disgusting thing to read, and makes the creator of that post seem like they lack education entirely. This doesn't mean scream at a member for a few misspellings, but if they talk like they don't even try such as the example I gave above, then that member would appear uneducated. Do we also keep Driver Madness Skype clean too? Driver Madness Skype is just an awful mess, so awful, I don't think it could be fixed and I left DM Skype because of the overall nonsense and lack of any decency.
"
what does darkprod want
[11/21/2014 1:14:07 PM] niki19_95: hes never here
[11/21/2014 1:14:18 PM] niki19_95: he quit cuz
[11/21/2014 1:14:19 PM] live:octalman: he's high on meth
[11/21/2014 1:14:21 PM] live:octalman: ignore him
[11/21/2014 1:14:26 PM | Edited 1:14:35 PM] niki19_95: we bashed him out
[11/21/2014 1:14:45 PM] niki19_95: talking about his computer shiz
[11/21/2014 1:15:01 PM] niki19_95: ZOMG PENTIUM II ZOMMGGGG
[11/21/2014 1:15:26 PM] niki19_95: 1.8GHZ HOLLE CHIT
[11/21/2014 1:15:28 PM] live:octalman: ZOMG NIGGAFLOP 0.1 GHZ PROCESSOR
[11/21/2014 1:15:56 PM] niki19_95: MICROPENIS LICENSED KEYBORAT
[11/21/2014 1:16:00 PM] niki19_95: AND MOUSE
"
-Driver Madness Skype
Like this, this is disgusting. Even know I'm not there I'm a widely over used pointless nonsense joke.

Well more ideas for the site standards; I think it would be a smart idea for members that used to strongly dislike another member for something they did a great amount of time ago to adjust to change. What I'm trying to say is, people can change over time, perhaps have an open mind on members that might have done something stupid a long time ago, and no longer act that way. This would avoid assist prevention of derailing topics and extremely unpleasant to see arguments from occurring on the site. Also, if someone has a different opinion about something, a member shouldn't get enraged about it and spam his/her own opinion and demanding that the other member's view or opinion is incorrect. Members need to have some damn respect for other's views and opinions. I've noticed a few arguments here and there are started from disagreements on these forums.

I'm saying that simply being respectful, as well as containing and emitting decency is what this site could thrive off of. Such behavior would inspire other members to act the same, eventually making the entire site a desirable place to visit.
Last edited by VAIMAHDO on Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:50 am, edited 3 times in total.
PostalDude wrote:
pete wrote:

"i can speak 2 languages: <a href="http://cityadspix.com/tsclick-BQCE4WRF- ... kw=english" target="_blank" alt="mba.ru" title="mba.ru" style="">english</a>,portuguese(my native language), a bit of spanish(is not valid)."
-helkensinken, 2014

look who is talking,by the way you IQ is the same from screwdrive and more respect you f**ckin drunk..... ¬¬
helkensinken wrote:
PostalDude wrote:
pete wrote:

"i can speak 2 languages: <a href="http://cityadspix.com/tsclick-BQCE4WRF- ... kw=english" target="_blank" alt="mba.ru" title="mba.ru" style="">english</a>,portuguese(my native language), a bit of spanish(is not valid)."
-helkensinken, 2014

look who is talking,by the way you IQ is the same from screwdrive and more respect you f**ckin drunk..... ¬¬
Damn #rekt :o
helkensinken wrote:
PostalDude wrote:
pete wrote:

-helkensinken, 2014

What was that? I don't speak Mongoloid.
DatDirtyBananas wrote:
helkensinken wrote:
PostalDude wrote:
pete wrote:

-helkensinken, 2014

Damn #rekt :o
Are you for real? :lol:
helkensinken, could you please just put a little more effort into making your posts legible? You can apparently understand us a lot better than we can understand you, which I believe means you are just not making very much effort in forming English sentences.
Give this kid a break. Sure, a few posts of his made no sense, and we're attempting to write site standards, but "He has an IQ of a bag of rocks" is exactly such behavior I was saying is intolerable. Respect the members damit, this is very low. Exactly what I ment by members not showing any class, the whole "IQ of a bag of rocks" is a direct insult.
Crazy Copper Frenzy

https://youtu.be/xAE3QsULyB4

https://youtu.be/AxdGf3F0yIg

Driv3r "Nice Getaway"

https://youtu.be/CYkmGAPoO9s Lucas in Driv3r's Ni[…]

https://youtu.be/Yvc_xKrKhnc?si=k4I5kraarTXctHJp […]