Talk about computers and stuff here!

Do you believe that 256MB of DDR2 RAM, a single core Pentium 4 can produce UHD graphics?

Nope.
80%
Definitely
20%
Maybe
No votes
0%
The title is too long to complete, so the question is;
Along with countless other projects of mine I am deeply studying and experimenting with processing cores, transfer rates and bit values. I'm building an Operating System designed to eliminate all unnecessary applications and GUI visuals, allowing your hardware to go the fullest extent of it's capabilities. I won't leak out too many ideas because I would like to keep my ideas safe, since some of these code ideas are something that game developers and Operating System developers should have done years ago. Before I build an operating system as powerful as I defined, I will be testing hardware with certain conditions after I build a machine that is well balanced. As of now I will be using a computer from 2002, which runs these parts;
Intel Pentium 4 at 1.80Ghz
Two DDR2 128MB RAM sticks
Combined with a very low end and unreliable video card, the Nvidia Vanta LT with 16MB of Video memory.

Now, I will build a finer machine, with the same amount of memory, but with this video card here;
http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-GeForce-PCI- ... Video+card
As well as a Pentium 4 processor running at either 2.80Ghz or 3.80Ghz, I might overclock it to 4.17Ghz
You make think that this is silly and unrealistic, but think of the PlayStation 2, even the PlayStation 3. Grand Theft Auto V, as amazing as it looks, ran just fine on the PlayStation 3's 256MB of RAM that it had.
As for this test, I will show each one here. I will begin with 2008 era like polygon counts with 1999 era texture qualities. The target render resolutions will be 640x480, 854x480, and or 1280x720, 960x720. I will start out light due to the awful video card in this machine I am working with has. This computer, to be specific, is a 2002 COMPAQ Evo D6S/P1.

Expect a test result to be posted here within 24 hours after I made this post. My goal here? Start off by making amazingly realistic 3D animations partially running in real time on very low end hardware, and eventually running my custom Operating System which will allow your low end machine to run incredibly demanding games.
My Operating System looks like this so far, this is NOT the actual thing, this is just what I've drawn up as an idea.
After turning on your computer, you will see this screen:
After clicking "3D Animating", it will bring you to my custom 3D Animation software. This Operating System is NOT for browsing the internet, this is strictly for animating and playing video games.
I will cover more about this operating system on a different topic. One last thing I must add, this Operating System may be designed to take advantage and help older hardware run incredible things, but it also allows ultra powerful machines to use every piece of power they have, further benefiting performance.
Post edited by Skylabh.
Reason: pictures no longer available.
You need to give your OS a name. Let's talk about it in PMs, OK?

Anyways, yeah. Nice. Try looking at the designs of many other operating systems (Macintosh, Windows, etc)
I don't think this will be a waste, I think this will be evolutionary. This Operating System, expands computer hardware's capabilities with newer games and hardware for up to 18 years longer then a computer would originally go for. Computer manufacturers do not want something like that, because it allows consumers to save money. They want us to buy the newest thing every five minutes, and most people fall into that money trap. Getting a new computer is no issue, but replacing its video card with something almost exactly the same each month is overkill.
Wheels wrote:You need to give your OS a name. Let's talk about it in PMs, OK?
I don't want to give it a name yet, I would like to start making it first.
Wheels wrote: Anyways, yeah. Nice. Try looking at the designs of many other operating systems (Macintosh, Windows, etc)
That would be a waste of time. I'm creating something different, I don't want a clone Operating System, and I surely don't want it to be like any Operating System in existence. Making a Windows or Mac clone will not only destroy the whole purpose of allowing older/more weak hardware to produce and run some crazy high definition things, but I will also be sued for plagiarism. What I'm building, is something completely different; It's a different kind of Operating System..
Besides that, I'm almost done with my first test so I will post it here soon. :D
VAIMAHDO wrote:
Wheels wrote: Anyways, yeah. Nice. Try looking at the designs of many other operating systems (Macintosh, Windows, etc)
That would be a waste of time. I'm creating something different, I don't want a clone Operating System, and I surely don't want it to be like any Operating System in existence. Making a Windows or Mac clone will not only destroy the whole purpose of allowing older/more weak hardware to produce and run some crazy high definition things, but I will also be sued for plagiarism. What I'm building, is something completely different; It's a different kind of Operating System..
Besides that, I'm almost done with my first test so I will post it here soon. :D

Not exactly what I was implying. I don't think I need to go on much further. I shouldn't have said anything. :(
So what are you going for? Unix? Linux?
What the kid 78 said, good luck making your own kernel.
Must say tho, go for Linux. SteamOS is using it so its better to use linux then (for games).

Not to be hatefull, but never compare console with pc. Search on google how the PS2 works and you'll see that it was a hell to make games for. Same goes for PS3
The PS2 might have low memory (32Mb) but if you optimize your game for it, its sufficient especially for games with "levels"

(Like devs learning Japanese first, in order to even understand the ps2.)

some links:
http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-blog-PS2 ... mmable-DMA
http://www.ign.com/articles/2001/10/03/ ... es-benzies (GTA 3, fo da ps2 interview. I know u all hate ign tho, but its worth a read)
WhiteSnoop wrote:So what are you going for? Unix? Linux?
What the kid 78 said, good luck making your own kernel.
Must say tho, go for Linux. SteamOS is using it so its better to use linux then (for games).

Not to be hatefull, but never compare console with pc. Search on google how the PS2 works and you'll see that it was a hell to make games for. Same goes for PS3
The PS2 might have low memory (32Mb) but if you optimize your game for it, its sufficient especially for games with "levels"

(Like devs learning Japanese first, in order to even understand the ps2.)

some links:
http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-blog-PS2 ... mmable-DMA
http://www.ign.com/articles/2001/10/03/ ... es-benzies (GTA 3, fo da ps2 interview. I know u all hate ign tho, but its worth a read)
The nostalgic PS2 runs (correct me if I'm wrong) or was built on a Unix environment. Same for the PS3.

I don't see why they say Linux is worse because I have used Linux before, and I never got viruses.

As for Windows and Macintosh... come on it's easy to patch the viruses all you gotta do is pull yer head out yer ass.
Wheels wrote: The nostalgic PS2 runs (correct me if I'm wrong) or was built on a Unix environment. Same for the PS3.

I don't see why they say Linux is worse because I have used Linux before, and I never got viruses.

As for Windows and Macintosh... come on it's easy to patch the viruses all you gotta do is pull yer head out yer ass.
I wasn't saying that windows or macintosh sucked. But VAIMAHDO is talking about his own OS.
As far as I know there is NO "source" you can get and make your own from that.

And IIRC, the PS2 uses the MIPS architecture. Thats why you can't simply compare
So I was more pointing at the structure of the ps2 rather than its OS (if you can even say its an OS haha)

Oh and the PS3 uses cell-architecture iirc.

The next-gen switched back to x86, and now its just a matter of time when console gaming is going to die.
WhiteSnoop wrote:
Wheels wrote: The nostalgic PS2 runs (correct me if I'm wrong) or was built on a Unix environment. Same for the PS3.

I wasn't saying that windows or macintosh sucked. But VAIMAHDO is talking about his own OS.
As far as I know there is NO "source" you can get and make your own from that.

And IIRC, the PS2 uses the MIPS architecture. Thats why you can't simply compare
So I was more pointing at the structure of the ps2 rather than its OS (if you can even say its an OS haha)

Oh and the PS3 uses cell-architecture iirc.

The next-gen switched back to x86, and now its just a matter of time when console gaming is going to die.
I was implying that Macintosh and Windows had viruses while Linux found 1 source to stop it from happening.

Now, anyways. PS3, PS4, and PS2 have their own operating system. It's actually possible to override it and install another operating system over it. (Should we say, S**tdows S**sta?)
Wheels wrote: I was implying that Macintosh and Windows had viruses while Linux found 1 source to stop it from happening.
Now, anyways. PS3, PS4, and PS2 have their own operating system. It's actually possible to override it and install another operating system over it. (Should we say, S**tdows S**sta?)
The reason MacOSX and Windows get viruses, is that its widely used.
Even linux has its vulnerable holes in the system.
Don't get me wrong, I've used Linux for a long time. Just saying that ANY OS is unsafe to viruses.

And yeah the ps2 does have some sort of OS, but it's VERY limited.
The reason USB thumbdrives work in some games, is that the game must supply the USB driver itself.
Not exactly what I call "convenient"
And yes you can edit the OS, my PS2's have a hacked OS so that it can read games of the internal HDD's. And it also looks neat as it's just the good ol' ps2 menu.
I will be using Windows Ecks Pee (XP) Until I get my Operating System into a functional state. I will indeed compare Pee Cee to console, since they're technically both a computer of some sort. What my Operating System does is not only be light and powerful, but it also differentiates how processors work. So if we do have a Pentium 4 running this, it will be dealing with code far different then how it originally deals with code; It's safe to say that the Operating System is taking control over the processor as if my Operating System was the processor.
Since viruses were brought up, this is something that is going to be entirely avoided since this Operating System does not support browsing the internet at all. It is strictly limited to accessing files on your hard drive while moving and modifying them, 3D animating, and playing games.
WhiteSnoop wrote:
Wheels wrote: I was implying that Macintosh and Windows had viruses while Linux found 1 source to stop it from happening.
The reason MacOSX and Windows get viruses, is that its widely used.
Even linux has its vulnerable holes in the system.
Don't get me wrong, I've used Linux for a long time. Just saying that ANY OS is unsafe to viruses.

And yeah the ps2 does have some sort of OS, but it's VERY limited.
The reason USB thumbdrives work in some games, is that the game must supply the USB driver itself.
Not exactly what I call "convenient"
And yes you can edit the OS, my PS2's have a hacked OS so that it can read games of the internal HDD's. And it also looks neat as it's just the good ol' ps2 menu.
I've used Linux and downloaded (I don't know, 23 files? Games, apps, etc) and nothing struck me. The only vulnerable hole is that when you boot it gives you this "userlogin" thing with a black background. I type in my password, then it asks me to type it in twice, and I can't, so I have to turn off my computer.

https://youtu.be/Yvc_xKrKhnc?si=k4I5kraarTXctHJp […]

https://youtu.be/j10ltSvvSFU

Supercharged V8 (Driv3r)

https://youtu.be/PNpHXUwiFKs

A tutorial video on how to make custom missions fo[…]