Talk about computers and stuff here!

Which display type do you prefer/favor?

CRT (Cathode Ray Tube)
22%
LCD (Liquid Crystal Display)
22%
LED (Light Emitting Diode)
56%
Which type of television or monitor do you prefer or even favor?
CRT display:
Since it's a rather poor quality image, here's a stock photo of some random one:
(My favorite, and that picture is a picture of one I own)
Some information about how it works:
A CRT has a fluorescent glass screen which glows once exposed to radiation. These monsters are heavy, and relatively fragile. As a matter of safety, the face is typically made of thick lead glass to be highly shatter-resistant and to block as many X-ray emissions as possible. Because of this, they may cause cancer. It is not guaranteed, but it is always smart to keep your distance a few feet away from them and staying in front of it is the safest, since the rear and sides are usually built for ventilation. Don't worry, if you follow that guideline you will be safe. In television sets and computer monitors, the entire front area of the tube is scanned repetitively and systematically in a fixed pattern called a raster. An image is produced by controlling the intensity of each of the three electron beams, one for each additive primary color (red, green, and blue) with a video signal as a reference. In all modern CRT monitors and televisions, the beams are bent by magnetic deflection, a varying magnetic field generated by coils and driven by electronic circuits around the neck of the tube. Most may notice a "flickering" effect when looking at a CRT monitor, some can find it irritating with lower rate monitors running at 60, 30, or 29.979 refreshes per second. These monsters also consume far more electricity than the newer LCD and LED displays, and cost far more to manufacture. But they are infinitely sharper with any resolution, and are almost dead on with color. These monitors are no longer made.

LCD:
(Liquid Crystal Display) A display that uses rod-shaped molecules (liquid crystals) that flow like liquid and bend light. Unenergized, the crystals direct light through two polarizing filters, allowing a natural background color to show. When energized, they redirect the light to be absorbed in one of the polarizers, causing the dark appearance of crossed polarizers to show. The more the molecules are twisted, the better the contrast and viewing angle. A blurring filter effect makes displaying non-native resolutions a blurry, ugly site, and these monitors are more dull with colors. They consume little electricity, and don't emit very much radiation at all. These monitors are still made.
LED display:
An LED display is a flat panel display, which uses an array of light-emitting diodes as a video display. An LED panel is a small display, or a component of a larger display. They are typically used outdoors in store signs and billboards, and in recent years have also become commonly used in destination signs on public transport vehicles or even as part of transparent glass area. LED panels are sometimes used as form of lighting, for the purpose of general illumination, task lighting, or even stage lighting rather than display. A blurring filter effect makes displaying non-native resolutions a blurry, ugly site, and these monitors are more dull with colors. They consume little electricity, and don't emit very much radiation at all. These monitors are still made.

Just keep in mind, Liquid Crystal and Light Emitting Diode displays are almost the same thing, LED's are just LCD's with LED back lights.

My favorite is without a doubt Cathode Ray Tube displays.
Feel free to post a picture of your monitor!
Last edited by VAIMAHDO on Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I would have to go LED.
I like the power efficiency.
But I'm really waiting for OLED to mature, come in 4K and become affordable.
There is much better image quality but the major negative is burn-in like on Plasma but that should improve as newer models are released.

I also like how each pixel is truly individual with OLED as there is no backlight.
When part of the screen turns black those pixels turn off.

I can understand why you like CRT.
But for me they strained my eyes and I could see the screen refreshing on some models even when on 60Hz.
madness wrote: I can understand why you like CRT.
But for me they strained my eyes and I could see the screen refreshing on some models even when on 60Hz.
With standard CRT televisions running at NTSC speed (29.979 refreshes per second) I find the sound of one operating difficult to ignore. It doesn't bother me, but I do hear it.
One day I would love to re-invent the CRT display, make it look and feel like one, but it doesn't emit radiation. AKA, SCRTS (Safe CRT Simulator)
I've never experienced burn-in before. This is why you want constantly moving images being displayed on LED and CRT displays. And for more specific options on this poll I was just making it simple, since there are quite a few different types of every monitor type.
Crazy Copper Frenzy

https://youtu.be/xAE3QsULyB4

https://youtu.be/AxdGf3F0yIg

Driv3r "Nice Getaway"

https://youtu.be/CYkmGAPoO9s Lucas in Driv3r's Ni[…]

https://youtu.be/Yvc_xKrKhnc?si=k4I5kraarTXctHJp […]