Where you can talk about how awesome your PS5 is and remember all those classics on the PS1!
So, I managed to find one of my old Playstation Magazine issues (Issue 71) and I ran into something you fellas might find interesting. Sneak peeks into The Getaway's PS1 version and even information regarding The Italian Job. Even Driver 2 got mentioned! It's most definitely worth a read. Enjoy!

Protip: Click on an image to display a larger version of it.

THE GETAWAY

Image thumbnail

THE ITALIAN JOB

Image thumbnail
Image thumbnail

Alternative pictures:
http://i.imgur.com/mOnxuPx.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/wbgn44Z.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/S7sq7Pg.jpg
Last edited by Fireboyd78 on Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Use the [thumb] tag for large images, please. "Cut off" images were put as links at the bottom. ~CL
Looks like after Driver 1 success some game companies tried to compete against it, and those games seemed to be pretty interesting. Italian Job totally looks Driver 2 if it was been in London, they even had Allister Brimble behind the soundtrack.

I think that The Getaway looked decent on PS1 judging by those screens but The Italian Job looks outstanding.
Thanks for sharing those scans :D
Wow Olanov, thanks so much! I always thought this here was the PS1 version, but it seems like it’s only a very early picture of the PS2 version:

Can you tell me from what year the magazine is?
I agree that it reminds a lot of the first Driver (with no on foot, and basically being a getaway driver for jewel thieves) but I remember reading several times that this game was already started in 1999 or so. So sometimes I’m wondering if The Getaway wasn’t meant to be the first game of this type, but due to it having been more or less completely redone for the PS2, it came out a few years after the first Driver. And not only after Driver, but also after GTA 3, and therefore being automatically tarnished with the term “GTA-clone”…

What I’m also wondering is what the 4 other levels were? I mean this clearly sounds like a Driver clone, which had 4 (or actually 5) cities as well… we NEED to find this out guys!!!

As for it being on a PS2 disc: I doubt it, but to make sure it isn’t the case, someone would have to buy all different versions of the game and check this, since some of them have undergone various changes.
Me and PD has have been digging into this long enough, I myself have the PAL and NTSC-US OPM Demos, EU V1, EU V2, NTSC-US and NTSC-J versions of the game, PS1 version simply DOES NOT EXIST in these discs (doesnt make sense to exist either).

It's actually shame this version never saw the light day, probably for good, since what later became the PS2 version is one of the most realistic game ever made. Sadly, there were no Mini Coopers in the PS2 version at all :(
Hmm, there was a guy who had once exposed the whole game, maybe he’d know more about it, but he’s disappeared from the net ages ago. I’m not sure but I think he used to work for Team Soho, he was hinting it sometimes (or at least it seemed so) but never really admitted it or properly answered the question, too bad he would have been of some help I guess.
Thanks, by the way the pics I posted are apparently from the year 2000 (or at least that’s what it says on IGN). The game looks already pretty advanced and is already in the PS2 version. Might it not be that Reflections has copied the idea of a game like this? I mean I’m pretty sure that informations on projects, ideas etc. get around pretty quickly in developer circles…

If you find some other interesting articles, post them here, I really would like to know what the other 4 cities were meant to be!
No.

And The Getaway is far better than GTA, they also had it in development earlier than GTA, so The Getaway was first. However most of the pics in IGN (earlier ones that look like sketches) are renders, not actually ingame.

We would never get to know if there were ever going to be another cities, and Team Soho is no more.
What “no?”
What a dumb answer…

“Far better” is subjective, although I prefer The Getaway as well. GTA 3 holds some great memories (my first GTA), but both games are ugly and clunky these days, so it’s not even worth turning the console on again or it will just override great memories with new, ugly and disappointing moments :?
Ah I understand, of course you, RacingFreak, who worked for various studios such as Reflections, Team Soho and Rockstar, know everything that’s been going on back in around 1997 when you were (according to you profile) 1 year old.

What’s your source? I’m going to quote CarLuver at this point, “you can talk the talk, but can you walk the walk?” (I like this saying :P)

These are internal things of which you don’t have the slightest clue. I’m pretty sure that even in 1997 at the time of the first GTA, there have already been plans to make a 3D free roaming game. There can be various reasons why it didn’t happen until 2001, for example not enough money to pay developers, and as a result, another studio has done it first.

It’s like the story with the first car in the world being a Mercedes. If Karl Benz wouldn’t have created the first car, or if he wouldn’t have had the financial possibilities back then, then someone else would have done it a few years after him. Because it was just about to happen anyway. And it’s the same with videos games, 3D games already existed and proper free roaming was just about to happen, it was something that was missing and that simply had to be done. It’s not like someone did this and everyone was like “Wow what a revolution”, since it was expected to happen anyway sooner or later at this time. It was just a question of who’d do it first to be able to claim they’ve been first.

Learn your history…
And what the f**k does that have to go with the thread.

I am just saying that Reflections didn't copy DMA Design's GTA, why would that make any sense? GTA being topdown sandbox game with on foot action, while Driver just had driving action. A year later Driver 2 was born, a fully 3D on foot action game, in city environment... then comes The Getaway as concept in around 2000-ish, so does GTA3 a bit later... and you can clearly see The Getaway for PS1 did not have on foot action aswell, it's even mentioned. Jeez.

What is your point? I think you need to get your facts straight, not me. As always.

Now how about stop doing this off-topic.
LOL what it has to do with the thread? Hmm let me think, Olanov posted some screenshots of the PS1 version of The Getaway, of which the concept strongly reminds of the one of Driver 1. Maybe that?

What the point was? There’s no point, if you would have read it you would have known that there was only a question, which was who was the first to come up with the idea of a 3D driving game with free roam… How the hell is this off topic? And which facts should I get straight? Please tell me, list them here because I’d love to know. All I know is that you answered “No.” with no facts or whatsoever.

Big words but nothing behind. “As always” is good, but I guess it would rather apply to you in this case. (as always)
With a behaviour like that you will always remain the weak one in life…
driverever110 wrote:nonetheless I did some research and found that the italian job PC was published

by rockstargames :shock: (This information is for those who do not know).
Sir Vice a Lot already mentioned this in an earlier post, another one who doesn’t know how to read properly it seems :)
3D Free Roam concept has been in the minds of so much developers, it's nothing new, Driver applied it first and they did it extremely well (in this case between GTA, Driver and The Getaway). But in reality there have been a lot games BEFORE Driver that had 3D Free Roam. Who else did it first? I exactly don't know. But a lot DOS games had 3D free roam too. Viper Racing came out before Driver aswell.

You know what annoyed me?
Coyote wrote:but both games are ugly and clunky these days, so it’s not even worth turning the console on again or it will just override great memories with new, ugly and disappointing moments :?
You have no idea what you are talking about. Just to show:
Image thumbnail

And The Italian Job is not published by nor developed by R*, it was made by Pixelogic and published by SCi. Who doesn't know how to read now? I own the original PSX and PC version of the game, so stop arguing. R* later on picked up the IP, and re-released the game. Then again, this proves nothing and your argument is invalid.
RacingFreak wrote:3D Free Roam concept has been in the minds of so much developers, it's nothing new, Driver applied it first and they did it extremely well (in this case between GTA, Driver and The Getaway). But in reality there have been a lot games BEFORE Driver that had 3D Free Roam. Who else did it first? I exactly don't know. But a lot DOS games had 3D free roam too. Viper Racing came out before Driver swell.
“3D Free Roam concept has been in the minds of so much developers, it’s nothing new,” — I know, this is exactly what I said. You basically took my sentence and put the words in another order :lol:

I know that Driver applied it first. This wasn’t what I was talking about.

And yes, even the Sims had “free roam” before Driver as well. This wasn’t the point either ;)
RacingFreak wrote:You know what annoyed me?
Coyote wrote:but both games are ugly and clunky these days, so it’s not even worth turning the console on again or it will just override great memories with new, ugly and disappointing moments :?
Image thumbnail
Thanks, I know what the game looks like, I have it myself. Yes, it does look ugly and the gameplay has terribly aged with the time, unlike other games, such as Driver 1, which still feels fresh like on the first day.

When I said it would override great memories, I was basically just saying what happened to me. I have played it again a year ago or so, and it’s simply a terrible game. BUT I have such good memories of it. It would be sad if I’d play it even more, because it would override these great memories. So I prefer to keep it in my mind the way I saw it when I was younger. I’m pretty sure 99% of people who played it would feel the same. A bit like when your dog lands under a bus or a truck, maybe it’s better for someone else to do the job of bringing the dead animal away so you can keep it in your head the way you knew it, instead of doing this shocking experience of seeing it and having these images stuck in your head. This is completely normal…
RacingFreak wrote:And The Italian Job is not published by nor developed by R*, it was made by Pixelogic and published by SCi. Who doesn't know how to read? I own the original PSX and PC version of the game, so stop arguing. R* later on picked up the IP, and re-released the game. Then again, this proves nothing and your argument is invalid.
How is my argument invalid? I did read: I read Sir Vice a Lot’s post. Now if he’s wrong or not, I don’t know, and it isn’t my problem. I never said I looked it up… don’t get offended
RacingFreak wrote:3D Free Roam concept has been in the minds of so much developers, it's nothing new, Driver applied it first and they did it extremely well (in this case between GTA, Driver and The Getaway). But in reality there have been a lot games BEFORE Driver that had 3D Free Roam. Who else did it first? I exactly don't know. But a lot DOS games had 3D free roam too. Viper Racing came out before Driver aswell.

You know what annoyed me?
Image thumbnail

And The Italian Job is not published by nor developed by R*, it was made by Pixelogic and published by SCi. Who doesn't know how to read now? I own the original PSX and PC version of the game, so stop arguing. R* later on picked up the IP, and re-released the game. Then again, this proves nothing and your argument is invalid.
I advise you to shut up so then say what you have to do with the topic and you
says I do not want to learn anything. but I want to learn SOMETHING NEW. :evil:
So what about is all this arguing then? :shock:

I guess we misunderstood our points. But anyway, each one to his taste and point of view ;)
driverever110 wrote: I advise you to shut up so then say what you have to do with the topic and you
says I do not want to learn anything. but I want to learn SOMETHING NEW. :evil:
Look who's talking!
Yes, GTA 3 and also VC in my opinion have both terribly aged. (the direct handling feels so weird after playing, say, San Andreas)
Some games are timeless, and some aren’t I guess, or at least less then others…

About the story: I agree that it was amazing, probably the best story in a game (even if there was lots of weird things that didn’t make sense).
Coyote wrote:
I know that Driver applied it first. This wasn’t what I was talking about.

And yes, even the Sims had “free roam” before Driver as well. This wasn’t the point either ;)
Sims was released in 2000, so no way, also i don't consider at similar to Driver as it isn't a full free roam (you can't drive cars and travel with them) . It's kinda limited in Sims 1.

This could be some inspirations
[
In my opinion The Getaway, Driv3r and Mafia managed to be far more technologically advanced but as they had some less features they didn't receive so much praise from critics.

https://youtu.be/Yvc_xKrKhnc?si=k4I5kraarTXctHJp […]

https://youtu.be/j10ltSvvSFU

Supercharged V8 (Driv3r)

https://youtu.be/PNpHXUwiFKs

A tutorial video on how to make custom missions fo[…]