A place to talk about just how awesome PC / Mac games are and brag about your specs!
So here's some things of some game I'm making, mainly it's point will be to speed around the city and destroy everything with the heavily destructible cars. The game is in a very very early stage, not even alpha stage yet. This project was started in December 2012, and has only been worked on for a maximum of one week straight in that month. I managed to dig up this project off my portable hard drive, and here's what the game looks like as of now.: :mrgreen: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBveKGyN ... e=youtu.be
Nothing here is finial, the model will not be in the finial game, but another version of the car will be. The little city will not be a part of the game, and was only built to test the car. The pictures is how the game will be rendered during gameplay. :) UPDATE Since it's going to be a very long time until I get my hands on a stronger machine, I will show you all some more work of mine. On November 20th 2013, I started to write out the ideas for my first animated movie, it was going to be as realistic as possible. The story as of now is amazing. On December 10th, 2013, I started to make the project in the 3D world, and on Christmas day started having massive performance issues due to the heavily dense vehicle and highly detailed everything. On January 8th, 2014, I put the project on hold, reason being I don't have the technology to make the movie at all, the frame rate working with the scene is just too sluggish, so project is now on hold. Now, the only and first car ever made for the movie is the protagonist's vehicle, which is also the car that is in this game here! Let's just say it's an HD version of the car.. It is far too dense to be used in any game as of now. Here is the beauty, isn't she amazing? She is definitely obviously in alpha stage. xD
UPDATE 2! 2/192014 Surprise! I've tweaked around with the game a bit and decided to show you all something.. Not to mention well... A clip of some gameplay!: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1adazZ__ ... e=youtu.be The game has no sound at all, so I threw in some random sounds from DRIV3R and GTA IV during editing to help it not feel so empty.
Post edited by Skylabh.
Reason: pictures no longer available.
Last edited by VAIMAHDO on Wed Nov 05, 2014 6:17 pm, edited 11 times in total.
By VAIMAHDO
Fab2cent wrote:this looks cool :D i cant wait to see how the game evolves :)
Thanks! Yeah I was never planning to release any information before it's official release, but meh seems like someone want's to see it all too! :mrgreen:
By VAIMAHDO
Olanov wrote:It's a start! As long as you'll get further than TAILGATER I'm satisfied. (Y)
It's definitely a start, I blew my parents away last year when I showed them it, I don't think I've ever seen a 15 year old make a game, or a 3D one. :mrgreen: And whose TAILGATER and what is their unfinished project? :o
By Olanov
He's someone who tried and wanted to remake Driver 2 on PC. Project fell dead though. I'm sure if you'll dig around you'll be able to find his topic about it.
By VAIMAHDO
Olanov wrote:He's someone who tried and wanted to remake Driver 2 on PC. Project fell dead though. I'm sure if you'll dig around you'll be able to find his topic about it.
Ohhhh yeah I fergot about that! It looked pretty good. Update I just went back to his post, it looks pretty dam good, I would love to see everything he did!
Last edited by VAIMAHDO on Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By T.K.
Like a game engine, like Unreal, or Unity3D or Game Maker or what have you.
By VAIMAHDO
T.K. wrote:Like a game engine, like Unreal, or Unity3D or Game Maker or what have you.
Ohh I'm attempting to make it in C++ It's extremely unstable though, really crashy, objects do not display correctly or at all, and many other issues. :/ I might use Python script if I feel like it. :3
By VAIMAHDO
T.K. wrote:I recommend Unity3D. It'll make your life a lot easier.
Yeah I used to play around with unity a couple years ago, I liked it. But as of now I'm sticking with C++ I do want to make my own games when I'm older :)
Last edited by VAIMAHDO on Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
By VAIMAHDO
pete wrote:Those cars need wheelie bars! Looking cool though.
Thanks! And yeah they sort of do. I was showing off how powerful a vehicle's engine can be in my game. :wink:
By VAIMAHDO
helkensinken wrote:good work
Thank you! I haven't touched it since the last post on here. I've been busy with my dad's birthday present. :)
By VAIMAHDO
Well, since these renders have to do with this game, here ya guys go, this game is still being touched up on here and there, believe it or not. I'm reverting into the HD 1998 style I had originally intended back in December 2012 when this game was first invented.

I'm still looking for the only screenshot from the 2012 build :(
By the way Olanov, I've got further then Tailgater I guess lol, since I KEEP doing things to this game. :lol:
Just found the very first build screenshot on my external hard drive, wow, I miss this place. I actually found some of the actual textures too!
I forgot the first build was made in unity, wow, I miss this world model!
I'm glad I make my own textures now adays lol.
Similar to PS1 tiling, I used to model out of separate flat plates, which was very sloppy.
Screenshot date: December 11, 2012.
On a piece of paper with plans and maps, the date is October 29, 2012.
Post edited by Skylabh.
By VAIMAHDO
As some of you know, I do like a million projects at once, I can't help myself. So here you guys go, the game is evolving.
This project has been alive for two years! So in celebration, here's a micro update on some stuff:
(Still using my really unstable and crappy code I mashed together two years ago)
[youtube]
[/youtube]
Well, back to my 50's movie :D

Game version - The redesign of a game from scratch.

Game form - an update or change in a game, such as added cars, code, etc.

Also, the 2CV car has too many polygons for the system requirements I'm aiming for. Therefore, It will be cut from the game entirely.
A remodeled version may be seen soon.
This is because the body alone contains a massive 998 polygons. The maximum body polygon count for a vehicle should be no more than 500.
Target System Requirements:

Processor: Intel Pentium III 500Mhz

RAM: 64MB

Video card/chip: 4-8Mb DirectX 6 compatible D3D graphics processing unit

Operating system: Windows 98, XP, Vista, 7, 8

Display: 320 X 240 32-bit color

I'm designing this game to run on my vintage laptop, later in development if the game does not emit the visual aspects I desired then the system requirements will be raised.

Update: Possibly moving to Python/Blender as the game's engine.
Last edited by VAIMAHDO on Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
By VAIMAHDO
To be honest, most likely not. The reason being capability issues. Since I'm designing this for older hardware, I'm expecting it to have capability issues while in development for the next 3 years or so. As of now, (with the new rendering and graphical environment) the game is only running in DirectX 8 as of now, and is compatible with DirectX 6 already. I have tried to run the game on my Core 2 duo and that failed. The game simply isn't compatible with fancy video cards it seems. Of course on release, the game should work on most hardware, even that video card.

I decided to decimate the model by hand to see if I can still keep it. Instead of a crazy 998 polygons, it now sits at a much cleaner 809 polygons. 500 polygons may be too much to ask for, so the world detail is going to have to be dimmed down so vehicles can be more dense. And I'm very much loving how the car looks.
Original model: (998 polygons)

New model: (809 polygons)

I'll dim down this vehicle until I reach 500 polygons, and if it doesn't emit the detail and damage abilities I wanted, then the polygon limit for vehicles will be upgraded to 700 - 800

Update:

So I could determine a reasonable polygon count for vehicles, I made a world that would reflect the amount of detail the game world would have.
So on average, YES, ON A 500MHZ PENTIUM III, 8MB VIDEO MEMORY AND 64MB RAM The draw distance on average will be 2 square miles. {4000 polygons on average per 2 miles)
The estimated maximum draw distance allowed I estimate will be 50 miles, dependent on the map's size.
Furthest draw distance I've ever heard of on a Pentium III. You must love my optimization skills. (Y)

This also means 800 Polygons maximum for a car will do perfectly. So, 2 QUARE MILES draw distance, combined with 5 cars displayed, on a Pentium III. Yeah lack of cars on that processor but it's amazing I can do what I'm doing with it already!
Maximum vehicle count allowed: 100 (YES 100 IN ONE SCENE) {For more powerful machines, since that will be on average 80000 polygons for 100 vehicles. :wink:
Post edited by Skylabh.
Ah the progress, the progress. Newly added content and ideas:
-Will now have single player mode instead of only multiplayer
-Protagonist added
-Story being developed
-Official title made
-In love with the name of the game
-Game has evolved from a simple multiplayer free roam car crashing game, to a very diverse world with a very dark and gory single player story.
Story idea (So far):

A 24-36 year old woman was kidnapped at age 15 and since then has been forced to work for a violent street gang, usually having to be the hit man, driver, and some other odd jobs. Also have been raped in said timeframe, this woman grows very tired of this cruel lifestyle while on the other hand becoming mentally unstable. How will she escape the massive gang, and get revenge? How will being mentally unstable effect her life? Will she make it out and finally live a normal, peaceful life?

About character:
Height: 6'0 (Feet and inches)
Interests: Designing weapons of mass distruction
(Other information) -Has permeate brain damage, anger issues, and has a mechanical heart {She has no idea she has a mechanical heart}

Weapon idea:
(RATING 0 = Powerless, 10 = most powerful)
Brain Damage Launcher:
(THESE IMAGES DO NOT REFLECT THE IN GAME MODEL. THIS IS TO DISPLAY WHAT THE WEAPON WILL LOOK LIKE)
Weapon description: This heavily terrifying device launches hammers made of steel alloy with carbon, and holds 24 hammers.
Damage: 10
Range- 8
Accuracy- 6
Specialty - When a player (Multiplayer) gets a hammer launched to the head, will fall to the ground for several seconds, temporarily paralyzed. If the player survives this head trauma, will be able to get up and resume play, but, will experience loss of control, randomly faint, distorted vision, and difficulty operating vehicles and weapons. (This will stop when the player dies and respawns) Simulating permeate brain damage.

Electrical Knife:
(THESE IMAGES DO NOT REFLECT THE IN GAME MODEL. THIS IS TO DISPLAY WHAT THE WEAPON WILL LOOK LIKE)
Weapon description: What the hell is an electrical knife you ask? Why is there a gold plated edge on it? All those questions can be answered easily! This deadly knife contains massive amounts of electricity, and will shock the unlucky being to be stabbed by it. Avoid having one behind you! The gold plate is there because, gold is a very strong way of transferring electricity!
Damage: 3
Range: 0
Accuracy: 0
Specialty- When a player is behind another or an AI character, you have the ability to stab into the back of the victim's head, the knife will then produce 1000 volts of electricity to their head, causing their head to instantly explode. An instant killer when used this way!

Weapon still being invented:
(ACTUAL MODEL)
It's called "Melaxium laugh a lot" Not sure what type of chaos I want this weapon to cause, it will most likely be a bomb.
Post edited by Skylabh.
DaRkProDucTioNs00 wrote: [...] Also have been raped in said timeframe, this woman grows very tired of this cruel lifestyle while on the other hand becoming mentally unstable.

Because there can't be a strong female character without a tragic backstory.

And there can't be a tragic female backstory without rape.

Also the weapon designs are absolutely silly and the entire name makes no sense
Last edited by pete on Tue Nov 11, 2014 6:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
pete wrote:
DaRkProDucTioNs00 wrote: [...] Also have been raped in said timeframe, this woman grows very tired of this cruel lifestyle while on the other hand becoming mentally unstable.

WRECKED.
Last edited by PostalDude on Fri Nov 14, 2014 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pete wrote:

I'm sorry if the game doesn't fit your dictionary of requirements, but I didn't design this game for you. I'm not trying to be rude here pete, and I know you were not. But it seems you don't get what I'm doing with this game, where I'm taking it. I also didn't ask for criticism. I won't be posting any more updates like this anymore, so don't expect to see practically anything for a few months. Besides, all this mostly is, is a bunch of ideas thrown in, and I'll later pick and choose what stays and what goes. It's how I can put things together.

I don't need to explain every single tiny thing in depth, it is what it is. I agree the rape stuff was a bit much, but as I previously said, I just threw out a bunch of ideas. And normally when people are kidnapped what are they used for? I tired to base the story in a more on earth environment and put things on how people would react and deal with things. And the point of the whole backstory? That explains why you terrorize a gang from the day you escape. You know, the plot? The missions you do in game. Besides, this was originally supposed to be no more then a multiplayer driving, shooting, randomness, game.
Even know I said I don't need to explain every tiny thing, I guess I'll explain the weapons.

The weapons are being designed to be ridiculous and fun, rather then the typical shoot and run type combat experience, I wanted to have a mix of randomness and some standard weapons. Further making the game more fun for players. I guess if some of you understand where I'm going with this game, feel free to criticize future content. (Like weapon A feels over powered. Or area of the map feels out of place, vehicles, etc)
Oh and I almost forgot. Let me break the title down for you. "Element of Extinction". meaning: You are the element of extinction. In this game you contribute to human extinction, since you are able to kill off the entire city, since I might program the game to keep count of how many pedestrians have been flattened by you, and if it reaches the defined number pedestrians will stop spawning. (This can be disabled) And yes at the end of the game, you destroy your entire city leaving you the only one alive.
Crazy Copper Frenzy

https://youtu.be/xAE3QsULyB4

https://youtu.be/AxdGf3F0yIg

Driv3r "Nice Getaway"

https://youtu.be/CYkmGAPoO9s Lucas in Driv3r's Ni[…]

https://youtu.be/Yvc_xKrKhnc?si=k4I5kraarTXctHJp […]