Discussion for the fan-made game DrIVer: Russia (TBA)

Moderator: cleone

By cleone
I really need some advice on this site. What descriptions and information should be added? Any design ideas? I'm not trying to make an awful site, but I don't want to spend too much time on it when I'm trying to focus my attention on the game.
https://sites.google.com/site/driverrussia/
By Fireboyd78
It needs to be what you want it to be. It's your game, after all. Put your mind to it and make something awesome, and ask for feedback as you go along. Try to get a new theme on there going, custom or not.
By cleone
CarLuver69 wrote:It needs to be what you want it to be. It's your game, after all. Put your mind to it and make something awesome, and ask for feedback as you go along. Try to get a new theme on there going, custom or not.
Yeah you're right. It does represent the game and I need to treat it the way I treat the game. I can't just half-ass it. I'll work on it.
By max.thunder
The website is a little bit basic but it gives clear info about the game.

After reading the features of Chapter 2 all i can say is that i'm excited.
By cleone
max.thunder wrote:The website is a little bit basic but it gives clear info about the game.

After reading the features of Chapter 2 all i can say is that i'm excited.
Yea I'm gonna enhance the site. Its a little too basic. Also, I won't let you down! :wink: If I remember correctly, you were having issues with running Chapter 1. If you send me your specs maybe I can diagnose the problem. Sorry I never got around to a fix. Had a crazy year last year.
By Coyote
If the site lacks something then it's clearly the lack of pictures of the game? :P

I mean, people want to see what they're downloading!

BTW I read that Chapter 2 of your game "contains some 70s-80s music", be careful with this because if it's copyrighted music you could easily end up in jail tomorrow as you would be giving away copyrighted material for download for free :P Using the "Driver" trademark here requires already balls imho, even if you don't sell your game.
By Fireboyd78
Ah, you bring up a good point. It would have to be some royalty free music, otherwise you're basically giving away paid music for free...
By cleone
Coyote wrote:If the site lacks something then it's clearly the lack of pictures of the game? :P

I mean, people want to see what they're downloading!

BTW I read that Chapter 2 of your game "contains some 70s-80s music", be careful with this because if it's copyrighted music you could easily end up in jail tomorrow as you would be giving away copyrighted material for download for free :P Using the "Driver" trademark here requires already balls imho, even if you don't sell your game.
Its not like the Driver trademark is being used for profit. I doubt Reflections would care. And also for the music I am editing the songs and cutting certain parts out. In the first Chapter I had like 45 second versions or instrumental versions of the songs that I recorded from a Banshee Media Player plugin I had that drained out vocals. However I still haven't figured out what I'm doing for this chapter. I'm being careful with the music thats for sure. In chapter 1, I actually had a Syntax Destiny calm and action version. The calm was the first few seconds looped and the action was towards the end of the song. That may be what I do for some missions. However due to the length of some missions I may have a playlist of songs in one giant mp3 file, however that would slaughter load times. I still have a lot of planning to due on the music. Worst case scenario I will have to just make a list and tell people to grab the songs themselves and place them into the program files.
By Coyote
I know it isn't used for profit and I don't think Reflections would mind it, but the point is *if* they wanted, they could sue you because say, you're "harming" the image of the series and some people might think this is an official instalment. I'd be careful with Ubisoft, everyone knows what they're like :?

About the songs: TV channels pay lots of money just to play certain songs in the background for 30 seconds or so, so don't be fooled just because the whole song isn't in there :) Even just a sample can make big trouble. But there's lots of producers out there and surely some who do 70s style music, you could just contact them and many would be happy to have their tracks in a game :)
By cleone
Coyote wrote:I know it isn't used for profit and I don't think Reflections would mind it, but the point is *if* they wanted, they could sue you because say, you're "harming" the image of the series and some people might think this is an official instalment. I'd be careful with Ubisoft, everyone knows what they're like :?

About the songs: TV channels pay lots of money just to play certain songs in the background for 30 seconds or so, so don't be fooled just because the whole song isn't in there :) Even just a sample can make big trouble. But there's lots of producers out there and surely some who do 70s style music, you could just contact them and many would be happy to have their tracks in a game :)
Yea but I could put a warning in the game that says it is not an official installment. It even says on my site that its fan-made. Take a look at Halo Zero, did that guy ever get sued? Did anyone ever mistaken that for an official installment?

You are right about the sample thing. Do you know who I could contact about the 70s music? Any help would be appreciated.
By Coyote
Yeah it's true the site says it :) No probably he didn't, but I don't know about any other games actually so I can't really judge. Just saying what the law is like :P

For the music look on soundcloud, and look into groups there's surely some 70s groups :) Search for various tags! Tons of music there!

But never give up!
By cleone
Coyote wrote:Yeah it's true the site says it :) No probably he didn't, but I don't know about any other games actually so I can't really judge. Just saying what the law is like :P

For the music look on soundcloud, and look into groups there's surely some 70s groups :) Search for various tags! Tons of music there!

But never give up!
Alright thanks! I appreciate the help! :)
By cleone
CarLuver69 wrote:http://incompetech.com/

Tons of royalty free music there. Some good music!
Good site but nothing is what I'm looking for. The closest thing I can find is disco and well.... thats too disco-y. If that was in the game I'd be expecting to run over a million John Travoltas. I'm trying to keep a serious tone in Chapter 2, all comedy removed and 100% dark.
Crazy Copper Frenzy

https://youtu.be/xAE3QsULyB4

https://youtu.be/AxdGf3F0yIg

Driv3r "Nice Getaway"

https://youtu.be/CYkmGAPoO9s Lucas in Driv3r's Ni[…]

https://youtu.be/Yvc_xKrKhnc?si=k4I5kraarTXctHJp […]