Having an issue with the game you can't seem to figure out? Request assistance here!
By DriverZero
Registration Days
I'm having a problem with the film director and quick replay in the PC version. everytime I select it, the screen turns black and it gets back to the Title screen. Can someone help me with it???
Is your version by any chance pirated? You may be missing the necessary files. If not, then here's my theory: somehow the game is not able to record the data then save it temporarily so you can view it. Check to make sure the folder is not set to read-only. My computer has had many problems with many games since my entire hard drive went read-only about a year ago. I have to do most things with the Administrator account (Run as Admin...). Try running the game as an Admin (in Windows 7 it is right click and then Run as Admin, I don't remember Windows XP).
Hi! thanks for the reply!! i tried the ''read only'' thing but it didn't worked :( and i tried to run as a admin, and it's the same thing than before :(
i guess the problem is the missing the necessary files thing you mentioned, everytime when i play and try to save the replay, it didn't save and appears "ERROR". do you know the necessary files that i can download it? i really need the film director and qucik replay :(
By DrShemp
Registration Days Posts Avatar
LOL I have the exactly same problem as yours, I can't use any replay feature from the PC version and I can't make videos of the game. Can someone help? ;DDD
This is an unusual problem that I've never heard of before. Try reinstalling Driver, making backups of your "Levels", "Scripts", "Saves", and "ReplayData" directories. Don't forget about your CONFIG.DAT file!

After you install your fresh copy of Driver, make sure your "ReplayData" folder is NOT set to read-only! This also goes for the "User" directory inside of it. Let me know how things go!
By DrShemp
I actually tried it a few times and looks the same. Error keeps happening :/

I made a video showing the problem. check it below.
What OS are you using? In the ReplayData\User directory has it created $TEMP$.CFG, $TEMP$.PADS, and maybe $TEMP$.CAMS? From what I can tell the thing that writes it should really only fail if it can't create the file for writing, or if it can't open those three files.
By DrShemp
CarLuver69 wrote:I have never seen this problem before. Did it used to work and then suddenly stop working? Try reinstalling Driver...
No no, actually when I get driver it wasn't working.
someone972 wrote:What OS are you using? In the ReplayData\User directory has it created $TEMP$.CFG, $TEMP$.PADS, and maybe $TEMP$.CAMS? From what I can tell the thing that writes it should really only fail if it can't create the file for writing, or if it can't open those three files.
Hm, I take a look on the replaydata/user directory and it hasn't $TEMP$.CAM, only $TEMP$.CFG and $TEMP$.PADS. I guess I should look for this file xD
By DrShemp
W0LV3NSP33D wrote:No need, I've uploaded all the ReplayData files to my mediafire account. You should find all the files you'll need there.

http://www.mediafire.com/?vtiw99cq0ye90to

Hope that helps you!

Not my drawing lol. Belongs to: http://yolichan.deviantart.com/
Thanks a lot man I really appreciate it, but unfortunately it isn't the problem :/
someone972 wrote:I don't think it writes a CAMS file unless you go to film director first. That is very strange then, because if it can write those then it should be able to write the other files.
Me too. the Quick Replay feature doesn't work too.
I got that CAMS file by prototypedriver and W0LV3NSP33D (that was really nice and uploaded all the replaydata files!), but it isn't the problem (yeah i thought it was). I tried lots of things, but the problem keep going. :/
When you try and save, does it generate a CAMS file? It may not be there before you save, but if it still isn't there after you try and save then there is a problem when it tries to save the CAMS data.
By DrShemp
someone972 wrote:When you try and save, does it generate a CAMS file? It may not be there before you save, but if it still isn't there after you try and save then there is a problem when it tries to save the CAMS data.
Actually, I can't save any replay, it appears a ERROR message like in the video I posted on youtube.
I just need to know whether it generates a CAMS file when you TRY to save. It should generate one regardless of whether you used film director, by the way. I'm looking at the disassembled executable, so knowing whether or not it creates the CAMS file will help me narrow down at what part of the code it is failing.
Try moving/copying the program folder to your desktop and try running it from there. I think maybe the game is not letting itself write in the game folder which is in Program Files, which everything in Program Files is read-only. I had this problem with Driv3r once. Or maybe try running the game as an administrator? What Windows version do you have?
cleone wrote:Try moving/copying the program folder to your desktop and try running it from there. I think maybe the game is not letting itself write in the game folder which is in Program Files, which everything in Program Files is read-only. I had this problem with Driv3r once. Or maybe try running the game as an administrator? What Windows version do you have?
That's a very good idea. Try what cleone's said first. If that doesn't help, if you have a back up of driver, just use it (and move all your custom scripts and what not). If needed, I can provide a back up.
By DrShemp
someone972 wrote:I just need to know whether it generates a CAMS file when you TRY to save. It should generate one regardless of whether you used film director, by the way. I'm looking at the disassembled executable, so knowing whether or not it creates the CAMS file will help me narrow down at what part of the code it is failing.
No it didn't generate a CAMS file ;/
cleone wrote:Try moving/copying the program folder to your desktop and try running it from there. I think maybe the game is not letting itself write in the game folder which is in Program Files, which everything in Program Files is read-only. I had this problem with Driv3r once. Or maybe try running the game as an administrator? What Windows version do you have?
Tried it, but it didn't work :/ but thanks!
I use windows XP, and I'm running as administrator
W0LV3NSP33D wrote:
That's a very good idea. Try what cleone's said first. If that doesn't help, if you have a back up of driver, just use it (and move all your custom scripts and what not). If needed, I can provide a back up.
I have one actually, but the problem keeps happening :/
What is the contents of the debug log file? It should be in the same directory as the executable.

EDIT: Whoops, I lied. It looks like there are two functions for writing replay files, and one does not generate a CAMS file. So it actually will not always make a CAMS file.

EDIT2: Also, what antivirus software are you using? Have you tried creating a new administrator account and installing driver there?
By DrShemp
CarLuver69 wrote:Yeah, this is a very strange problem. I hope Jeff can fix it!
someone972 wrote:What is the contents of the debug log file? It should be in the same directory as the executable.

EDIT: Whoops, I lied. It looks like there are two functions for writing replay files, and one does not generate a CAMS file. So it actually will not always make a CAMS file.

EDIT2: Also, what antivirus software are you using? Have you tried creating a new administrator account and installing driver there?
Yeah really really strange lol
someone972 wrote:What is the contents of the debug log file? It should be in the same directory as the executable.

here is:

Driver - Log File -
Driver (c)1998-1999 Reflections Interactive

Mucho respectomondo to Driver PC coder(s):
Dirty Wayne, Evil Russ, Gentleman Jim, Guru Naif, Hodgy Hax, Steve Royston, Slurpy Chris.

GetCDTOC: Query # CD tracks failed
* LoadMission *
Attempting to load: Scripts\Missions\Mission83.dms
>> LoadMission Complete - Routine Terminated <<
*** Loading cosmetics data ***
*** Cosmetics data loaded ***
*** Loading denting data ***
*** Dentings data loaded ***

Attempting to process Chair placement lump.
Map is 540 cells wide and 540 cells high, pointer is 4 bytes long required memory is 1166400 (1139k).
ProcessChairLump completed successfully (50 chairs retrieved), routine terminated.

Attempting to initialise motion capture data...
Attempting to load file: WALK.MCD
File loaded successfully.
Attempting to load file: RUN.MCD
Attempting to load file: DIVE.MCD
Attempting to load file: SITTING.MCD
Motion capture has been initialised.

Attempting to compile event script "Scripts\Events\La_01.des".
Script file compiled successfully. Operation complete.

Interview 0, Training 0, mode 2, chaseHQmode 0
ERROR: Can't save replay
By DrShemp
CarLuver69 wrote:Try using this EXE to run Driver -

http://pitchshifter105.opendrive.com/fi ... 3/Game.exe

Place that in your Driver directory, but DO NOT OVERWRITE IT.
Thnaks for the link, but actually even the game worked with it :/ it crashes when teh game will start
DrShemp wrote:
CarLuver69 wrote:Try using this EXE to run Driver -

http://pitchshifter105.opendrive.com/fi ... 3/Game.exe

Place that in your Driver directory, but DO NOT OVERWRITE IT.
Thnaks for the link, but actually even the game worked with it :/ it crashes when teh game will start
Damn, sorry man. I don't know what else to do. We can only hope for the best from Jeff.
This is really difficult to troubleshoot over the internet like this. Have you ever used cheat engine or another debugger? That would make this so much easier if we could use that. Here is a list of places that it will fail, in the order they occur.

1. It fails to open REPLAY9.bin for writing.
2. It fails to open $TEMP$.CFG for reading and then writing into REPLAY9.bin.
3. It fails to generate $TEMP$.CAMS, but this would include an entry in the debug log "SaveDirector: Unable to write director data file. Please make sure target is not write protected." This would then cause it to fail to open $TEMP$.CAMS and give the error message.
4. It fails to open $TEMP$.PADS for reading and then writing into REPLAY9.bin.

Seeing as it does not have the error from number 3 in the log, it must be either failing to create REPLAY9.bin or $TEMP$.cfg. Make sure you have a Saves directory.
By DrShemp
someone972 wrote:This is really difficult to troubleshoot over the internet like this. Have you ever used cheat engine or another debugger? That would make this so much easier if we could use that. Here is a list of places that it will fail, in the order they occur.

1. It fails to open REPLAY9.bin for writing.
2. It fails to open $TEMP$.CFG for reading and then writing into REPLAY9.bin.
3. It fails to generate $TEMP$.CAMS, but this would include an entry in the debug log "SaveDirector: Unable to write director data file. Please make sure target is not write protected." This would then cause it to fail to open $TEMP$.CAMS and give the error message.
4. It fails to open $TEMP$.PADS for reading and then writing into REPLAY9.bin.

Seeing as it does not have the error from number 3 in the log, it must be either failing to create REPLAY9.bin or $TEMP$.cfg. Make sure you have a Saves directory.
I was using cheat engine before, but I'm not that good at this, and I unistalled itm but I have the setup here

Hmm, I don't have a save directory actually, even a replay9.bin file, i guess thats the problem right?
Crazy Copper Frenzy

https://youtu.be/xAE3QsULyB4

https://youtu.be/AxdGf3F0yIg

Driv3r "Nice Getaway"

https://youtu.be/CYkmGAPoO9s Lucas in Driv3r's Ni[…]

https://youtu.be/Yvc_xKrKhnc?si=k4I5kraarTXctHJp […]