Old news can be found here.
For years, the fabled "Yellow & Black Buick GSX" has been the car we all knew quite well as something that never quite made it into the final game. It was featured prominently in a demo disc put out by Playstation Magazine, commonly referred to as "Euro Demo 43". It's a non-playable demo featuring the GSX being chased by beta cops in a beta miami. And it also turns out to be an actual beta version of Driver running in real-time! Of course, they're just replays, but everything that makes the game tick is there!

Recently, one of our long-time members here on Driver Madness, Jeff (aka Someone972), has been working on decoding the PSX level format. Once he figured out how to load models/textures, he decided to try out Euro Demo 43. After a couple of tweaks with his loader, this is what he saw:

Image thumbnail
(Click to enlarge)

What's that? Let's take a closer look:

This...can't be true? I mean surely...

Image thumbnail
Image thumbnail
Image thumbnail
(Click to enlarge)

...you can't be serious?!

THERE IS A 1965 FORD MUSTANG IN THE BETA DRIVER DEMO!

This is literally the biggest discovery ever made in a Driver game. It's been nearly 15 years since Driver was released on the PlayStation, and we never once heard anything about a red Ford Mustang being one of the cars you could drive. Imagine what could have been...

Keep up the great work Jeff! :specialdriver:

You saw it here first on Driver Madness! Tell us what you think!

Note: The model seen in the screenshots was found in the beta demo, however it was untextured. Since the body had the shape of a Mustang, Jeff did a quick texturing job to the model.
Hi, just wanted to say that the model pictured is included in the beta level, but is untextured. I figured it looked pretty similar to a mustang so I did a quick texture job, but it could use improvement. Still, I was very surprised when this texture showed up!
WOW! I think this is the best find in any driver game! It's amazing such an awesome vehicle was locked and hidden away for 15 years in a very little bit of code... And here we are, just found the beauty. This car has probably been barley touched by the creators their selves! :mrgreen: It's stuff like this that makes me want to work on the game I have been making, of course, it's been a bit since I've touched it.
As many of you are aware that the Mustang model shown here does have a pretty quick UV mapping job applied, Jeff has have sent me the original model and texture and I got around remapping it to original Reflections standard (thus the bottom texture had to be added to the maintexture aswell), however some parts were straight wild guess! It still needs few fine tuning UV map adjustments done, but for now it looks like that:
Image thumbnailImage thumbnailImage thumbnailImage thumbnail
I guess it will soon be released as an replacement of the Fairlane in all cities (as it's base fits the best). Additional information: this Mustang was supposed to be PLAYERCAR2 in beta. I will open additional thread upon mod release :specialdriver:
RacingFreak wrote:As many of you are aware that the Mustang model shown here does have a pretty quick UV mapping job applied, Jeff has have sent me the original model and texture and I got around remapping it to original Reflections standard (thus the bottom texture had to be added to the maintexture aswell), however some parts were straight wild guess! It still needs few fine tuning UV map adjustments done, but for now it looks like that:

*snip*
The front bumper doesn't quite wrap around to the side texture, could you fix that? :P
CarLuver69 wrote:
RacingFreak wrote:As many of you are aware that the Mustang model shown here does have a pretty quick UV mapping job applied, Jeff has have sent me the original model and texture and I got around remapping it to original Reflections standard (thus the bottom texture had to be added to the maintexture aswell), however some parts were straight wild guess! It still needs few fine tuning UV map adjustments done, but for now it looks like that:

*snip*
The front bumper doesn't quite wrap around to the side texture, could you fix that? :P
Due to the way the original model is made this proves to be quite hard to get perfect, anyway I think this is the best it can get so far:
Let me know about any other faults. I want to get it perfect! Only damage model and cosmetics are basicly left to do now. :specialdriver:
Smith wrote:Looks very good. Hopefully it would be ported to PC version. Good job by the way
The pictures you see in the first post are the PC version. So technically, it's already been ported :P
RacingFreak wrote: Due to the way the original model is made this proves to be quite hard to get perfect, anyway I think this is the best it can get so far:
Let me know about any other faults. I want to get it perfect! Only damage model and cosmetics are basicly left to do now. :specialdriver:
You forgot to put a black part of the texture on the hood :P
CarLuver69 wrote:
There's no black part? Even so, all texture UV maps must be 1px inside the texture position boundary, else they will not look correct. Currently the hood uv map covers the entire texture, 1px inside of each side of the position boundary :)
helkensinken wrote:that mustang is not a 1965 and yes a 1968

1968:

Image thumbnail

1965:
Image thumbnail

now look to driver 1 beta mustang rear and compare
Upon my own analysis on the texture I can confirm that two Mustang models' photos where used to make the texture, as in the end only the front and front window textures are from, I guess, 1965 one and the rest are textures from 1968 model. The entire model however seems more modelled after a 1965 one in my opinion.
helkensinken wrote:that mustang is not a 1965 and yes a 1968

1968:

Image thumbnail

1965:
Image thumbnail

now look to driver 1 beta mustang rear and compare
Front and sides from 65 and the rear body from 67 were used for that Mustang. So it's 80% 1965 and 20% 1967.
RacingFreak wrote:
CarLuver69 wrote:
There's no black part? Even so, all texture UV maps must be 1px inside the texture position boundary, else they will not look correct. Currently the hood uv map covers the entire texture, 1px inside of each side of the position boundary :)
See these blue parts?

I'm pretty sure I know Driver cars well enough to know there's a small cut in between the side and the hood that should be painted black.

And yes, that drawing is terrible. I was trying to make a clear example, but I think I went a little too far...lol
helkensinken wrote:
TheEngiGuy wrote:Oh god.
Why does Reflections have to delete nice things from their beta games everytime?
because of patent of real car makers and because of the royalts are enpensive
I really doubt it's that.

Reflections are talented enough to give cars small differences and make them unmarked.
CarLuver69 wrote: See these blue parts?

*snip*

I'm pretty sure I know Driver cars well enough to know there's a small cut in between the side and the hood that should be painted black.

And yes, that drawing is terrible. I was trying to make a clear example, but I think I went a little too far...lol
Infact, I've done the black part at the boot, but on bonnet it doesn't-exist, here is a pic:
Image thumbnail
It in fact does exist, but you are probably having the same problem I was having with Milkshape where it merges vertices that are at the exact same point. What you may have to do is export it to an obj, change the value of the top vertices so that they are slightly different, and re-import it, color the faces, then export and move the vertices back to their original location. It's a pain, but it should work.
And here comes a video preview!
someone972 wrote:It in fact does exist, but you are probably having the same problem I was having with Milkshape where it merges vertices that are at the exact same point. What you may have to do is export it to an obj, change the value of the top vertices so that they are slightly different, and re-import it, color the faces, then export and move the vertices back to their original location. It's a pain, but it should work.
I will see about it Jeff, this part seems very weird on the model, but I will get around fixing it eventually. :specialdriver:
Crazy Copper Frenzy

https://youtu.be/xAE3QsULyB4

https://youtu.be/AxdGf3F0yIg

Driv3r "Nice Getaway"

https://youtu.be/CYkmGAPoO9s Lucas in Driv3r's Ni[…]

https://youtu.be/Yvc_xKrKhnc?si=k4I5kraarTXctHJp […]