Old news can be found here.
By Fireboyd78
This post is to inform the users of Driver Madness about some recent technical changes that were made. The main goal is to keep server performance optimal and the size of everything to a minimal, and also to keep things neat, tidy, and consistent.

IMPORTANT: The maximum amount of private messages will be decreased from 1,000 messages to ~200 messages soon. Please go through and delete old messages you will not be needing and save any you want to keep. We will let you know when we plan on rolling this out within the next month or so. Don't wait until it's too late!

Changelog for 07/05/2013

General
  • Added fresh batch of Q&A questions
  • Minimum amount of words per post has been increased to 3
Search Settings
  • Search cache reduced to 5 minutes
Private Messages
  • Limited PM edit time to 30 minutes
  • Limited maximum number of PM recipients to 5
  • Disabled ability to attach files in PMs
  • PLANNED: Decrease private message limit (see above)
Signatures
  • Disabled smilies
  • Maximum font size has been reduced to 125%
Small update: Scratch the signature image size limit. It doesn't even work right anyways.
By Coyote
Nooo why the PM limit… I don’t want to delete my old messages, they’re memories :( Also, have some been deleted already? I had around 12 pages of PM’s, and only 5 are left.

If you want to reduce the used space on the server than change the maximum file size of avatars (with size I mean the size of the file, not the height/width). It’s always possible to compress images well without loosing quality, because things like Limited maximum number of PM recipients to 5 don’t make sense :?
Last edited by Coyote on Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Fireboyd78
0takumetalhead wrote:Why would you limit the sizes of signatures?
Signatures aren't supposed to be that big anyways. Also taking into account the page stretching on smaller monitors.

On second thought, nevermind. I removed it since it doesn't work right anyways.
By Fireboyd78
Coyote wrote:Nooo why the PM limit… I don’t want to delete my old messages, they’re memories :( Also, have some been deleted already? I had around 12 pages of PM’s, and only 5 are left.
It might have something to do with there being 50 PMs per page. Just go to the last page and check the date of your messages - if they're from 2006/2007, then no PMs have been deleted.
By Coyote
Yes they’re from 2007, maybe I just wasn’t writing PM’s in the first year.

As for the signatures, there’s a feature to resize them automatically in phpBB, or to block people from uploading them if they’re too big, it shouldn’t be too hard to make :P
By Fireboyd78
Coyote wrote:Yes they’re from 2007, maybe I just wasn’t writing PM’s in the first year.

As for the signatures, there’s a feature to resize them automatically in phpBB, or to block people from uploading them if they’re too big, it shouldn’t be too hard to make :P
Yeah I looked into that. It's not really a big issue at the moment however.
By Fireboyd78
Coyote, whenever the time comes to downgrade the PM's limit, more will be explained.

Right now, you literally have 4,000 messages capacity. Think of it that way.
By Coyote
I thought we only had 1000 right now and it would be downgraded to 200?

Well, it would be too bad to loose old PM’s. I’m not sure how many PM’s other users have, but they’re good memories. Of course I could just copy them to a text file, but it just simply isn’t the same :)
By Fireboyd78
Coyote wrote:I thought we only had 1000 right now and it would be downgraded to 200?

Well, it would be too bad to loose old PM’s. I’m not sure how many PM’s other users have, but they’re good memories. Of course I could just copy them to a text file, but it just simply isn’t the same :)
I didn't go in depth about that (I literally wrote it at 3am in the morning), basically you can have 4 custom "boxes" as PHPBB3 calls them. These include:

- Inbox
- Outbox
- Sent Messages

In addition to these 3, you can have up to 4 custom ones. Total it all up, and you actually have 7,000 possible messages to store. WOAH. That's a lot of messages. This is definitely a reason to decrease the amount of PMs per folder. I'm thinking 250 is fair game - you could easily store all of your old PMs into different boxes, possibly by year. Example:

- 2006-2007
- 2008-2009
- 2010-2011
- 2012-2013

Right there you have a total capacity of 1,000 archived messages. In addition to this, you have another 750 messages spread between your Inbox, Outbox, and Sent Messages.

Of course, it doesn't have to be like that, but it's a good example. In total, we'd go from a theoretical number of 7,000 messages per user, to 1,750 messages per user. If DM ever becomes popular, this will be worth it in the end.
Crazy Copper Frenzy

https://youtu.be/xAE3QsULyB4

https://youtu.be/AxdGf3F0yIg

Driv3r "Nice Getaway"

https://youtu.be/CYkmGAPoO9s Lucas in Driv3r's Ni[…]

https://youtu.be/Yvc_xKrKhnc?si=k4I5kraarTXctHJp […]