By max.thunder
ImageImageImage
Why they changed Tanner's name calling him John Tanner? His real name of the first three games was Bruce Tanner Smith
By RacingFreak
Well... maybe only God knows. BTW, I`m not impressed, look at all the games from same era, few years (after 2000) these titles were sold to more nasty gaming developing companies (I`m talking about Test Drive, Driver and many another classics) also their developer and publisher changing is same: Original Dev>Infogrames>Atari. And for Driver, UbiSoft (company that didn`t impressed me at all).

Also, Tanner on that cover you found, looks different from the ingame picture (the one, on the game menu). I think they`re changed his name to John Tanner, because... maybe he is really dead. And John Tanner is his son. It`s just a theory, but the logic seems to be true, because, look at how young is Tanner in Driver: SF.
By max.thunder
I'm sure that you mean these pictures
ImageImage
Yeah, maybe it's true that Tanner's son seeks revenge for the death of his father

Also the previous cover with Tanner different face is a BETA cover that was finished in 1997, later they've changed it into the cover that we all know
By RacingFreak
Yep. You got that right. After all I think, that in final version he looks more a Nicolas Cage:
ImageImage
Well :roll: not really, but both looks familiar.
Last edited by RacingFreak on Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By max.thunder
The BETA cover reminds me a bit Michael Madsen

The FINAL cover reminds me more a younger Nicolas Cage
By La Grange
Registration Days Posts Avatar
I think, Reflections would say if John Tanner was the son of Bruce Tanner. Maybe they just ... er .. forgot his name? In addition, the DSF will be Jones and Jericho, but they didn't aged!
By max.thunder
Driver SF is set several months after Driv3r events so that could mean that Jones and Jericho haven't aged a lot, but Tanner looks totally different, that's only can mean that he is Bruce Tanner son
But if they forgot the real name and changed it into John Tanner i would kill the developers for that, hope that the storyline of the game will explain more about this
By max.thunder
Well, i don't have weapons like pistols (only plastic pistol :lol: ), but i have things like hammers, knives,etc
Ubisoft has changed a lot Driver series and i don't like that (they really forgot really the soul of Driver series and put it into a commercial game for making money, the same will happen for example with Max Payne 3), the last Driver don't look even like Driver 1 and 2 judging by the E3 gameplay.
Also the game is called Driver San Francisco so maybe it isn't a true sequel to Driv3r because his real name has to be Driver IV or DrIVer, i think that they've changed it into Driver SF to don't have confrontations with GTA IV
By RacingFreak
Same on me. But.. what to do when the developers continues to pref**k each game which has great storyline and is classic... same as NFS, Test Drive and of course, Driver. Also that story began with occupation from Infogrames side, a later from damned s**t p****d Atari (I censored the swearing, but trust me I HATE ATARI. They killed the joy of playing classic racing game at all, and this annoyed me hard from the same start of their occupation).
By max.thunder
Yeah, i remember previous Test Drive games, it were really AWESOME, same for NFS, until the new games.
The same is happening these days with films, nowadays there aren't a lot of good films like in previous decades, now mostly films have more purpose on money that on a good script or storyline
By RacingFreak
Yep, the good old memories, that will never die... I`m happy that I can play all my games ( Interesting fact: The only genre, from which I have games is the racing and the driving one. ) Hit the gas and... :specialdriver:
By max.thunder
Old music, old cars, old films, old games, man i really miss that things have changed so much the last years.
Hope that this feeling will never be forgotten and hope that now people realize that money isn't the most important thing and start making again good films and games. Probably now this is impossible
By La Grange
Registration Days Posts Avatar
But if the action game takes place several months after Driv3r, it means that in Driv3r Tanner is already had a grown-up son. But Tanner isn't so old for this!
By max.thunder
Yeah, there was a girl in Driver 1 called Ali, Driver 1 was set in the 70s so that mean that his son could be approximately 30 years old now
By emmetmcl
Registration Days Posts Posts Posts Posts Avatar
I never knew his name was Bruce. what game was this revealed in?

Also, I doubt D:SF features his son. How would his son have gotten into a coma?
I thinks its just laziness from both UR and Ubisoft.
By Nikusakken
Bruce Tanner Smith? I swear that I never heard this, and the mobile phone games supposedly called him Tanner Maverick. I also never believed that Driver was set in the 70's. Apart from the cars, the game looks like to be set in late 1980's or mid 1990's.
By Nikusakken
max.thunder wrote:Also the game is called Driver San Francisco so maybe it isn't a true sequel to Driv3r because his real name has to be Driver IV or DrIVer, i think that they've changed it into Driver SF to don't have confrontations with GTA IV
Martin said that he'd never call it "DrIVer" or "DriVer" because:
Well thank God, no. I think there were plans to possibly do it with Driver IV with the I and V. Thank goodness we didn’t do that.

This is the end of it, once we go past V, there’s nothing else you can do with it. But no, there was no temptation from me, and I never heard it raised from within Ubisoft, thank God. So that never came up.
http://www.vg247.com/2010/06/15/intervi ... edmondson/
By max.thunder
emmetmcl wrote:I never knew his name was Bruce. what game was this revealed in?

Also, I doubt D:SF features his son. How would his son have gotten into a coma?
I thinks its just laziness from both UR and Ubisoft.
I'm not sure about "Smith" but his real name first was heard in Driver 2, Bruce Tanner, back in those days many reviews and magazines put the name of Bruce Tanner, don't remember if the official web of Driver 2 put the name, now we can't confirm that because it went offline
By Fireboyd78
Driver was set in 1979. Why? Because every car on the PC version matches up to a car made during and before 1979. The ONLY car that is hard to grasp is the blue truck, because it appears to be a 1984 Dodge Ram...otherwise, all other evidence points to 1979. Doesn't anyone remember that pretty damn accurate timeline I made?
By max.thunder
Recently i've seen one sh*tty film called Ghosts of Mars, and one character is called Sgt. Jericho Butler ( :lol: ) played by Jason Statham
By RacingFreak
Yeah, that mirror site of Driver is cool, too bad it`s not even FULL copy of it, including the videos and the artworks :?

Also, I was trying to make an advanced copy of it on Racing Madness (I`ll open it very soon, on a new host) 8)
Crazy Copper Frenzy

https://youtu.be/xAE3QsULyB4

https://youtu.be/AxdGf3F0yIg

Driv3r "Nice Getaway"

https://youtu.be/CYkmGAPoO9s Lucas in Driv3r's Ni[…]

https://youtu.be/Yvc_xKrKhnc?si=k4I5kraarTXctHJp […]