By Miller
"During my demo, Tanner was speeding down the street and wanted to go in the opposite direction. Rather than jerk the e-brake and spin into the other lane, Tanner just chose an oncoming ride and his consciousness leapt into it."

Yes, why would I want to jerk the e-brake and spin the car into the other lane? [or carjack the thing and then make a cool movie in Film Director mode]

I think they should have returned even more completely to the orignal game's style, structure, and features, and just updated the part where it looks and sounds cooler. I liked getting out of the vehicle,too.

I guess you guys will be very happy that the cars are real vehicles. I would like to ride on one of these, man.
By Moonchild
Registration Days Posts Posts Posts
First of all, Martin Edmonson is back!? when did this happen?

Second I can't believe there continuing the D3 story and I can't believe theirs licensed cars. So stupid man, damage modeling will be weak but judging by this "shifting" crap crashes will be non existent anyways. WTF man?

Not a good first impression but hopefully the E3 showing will be better. To add, looks like there will be no film director because of the shifting mechanic...
By driver4_
Registration Days Posts Avatar
It's weird that you can't run over pedestrians again, but I hope the car damage looks great. 60 fps... I'm going to play this in HD on the PS3! Online up to 8 players! Continuing the story in a unique and to me in an interesting way! The only negative it that "instead of turning the car around you could..." That's a little let down but other than that come on guys! This is looking magnificent. :specialdriver:
By Moonchild
Thanks to the 60 fps the city looks dead again just like DPL. If the 8p online is simplistic this game will be forgotten in a month.

I may be overreacting but that preview looks sooooooo disappointing.
By driver4_
Moonchild wrote:Thanks to the 60 fps the city looks dead again just like DPL. If the 8p online is simplistic this game will be forgotten in a month.

I may be overreacting but that preview looks sooooooo disappointing.
Thanks to the 60 fps the city looks dead WTF is that?
By Moonchild
driver4_ wrote:Thanks to the 60 fps the city looks dead WTF is that?
Ambience, that preview showed the game has none, just like DPL the environment is bland and boring. It just doesn't have the detail of a real next gen game.

Whatever, the Ubi confernece is on, lets see what happens, maybe (hopefully) I'm wrong
By emmetmcl
Registration Days Posts Posts Posts Posts Avatar
Looked a bit like The Wheelman to me.

I didnt like it.

I dont want to be able to smash through EVERYTHING, just things like light posts, not bus shelters!!!

If this wasn't Driver, I would be saying, ''There's no way I'm buying this''
By emmetmcl
Registration Days Posts Posts Posts Posts Avatar
It seems more like a movie than a game, from the way the story seems to be set out.

Reminds me of Ashes to Ashes or Life on Mars (a UK TV series)

TBH, I could hate this but Id still buy it because its Driver
By driver4_
But this won't be like wheelman because in that game you could just jump cars whenever but in Driver: SF you could shift, but it's LIMITED and it seems optional unless you want a new ride. We don't know how limited this is yet but we will see that soon, as the game will be released this Fall.
T.K. wrote:Hm, after a second thought, I decided that I like the premise. Very original, I think. I do plan on buying this.
Me too. At first I was skeptical, but after seeing gameplay videos and Martin's interview (And seeing that he's back to Reflections), I must say that, albeit risky, it's an awesome premise.
By Double Mac
Registration Days
Miller wrote:(…) Why would I want to jerk the e-brake and spin the car into the other lane? [or carjack the thing and then make a cool movie in Film Director mode]
Or jump out of the car at the last moment before sending it for a swim off a coastal ramp. Granted, the jump-out animation in D3 was terrible (and a little more refined in DPL) but the concept itself is, of course, immensely fun-friendly.
Miller wrote:I liked getting out of the vehicle,too.
Me, I like it for the ‘sightseeing factor’. It helps me appreciate the efforts of an environment’s designers a bit more thoroughly – otherwise I tend to breeze right past some picturesque areas & painstakingly recreated landmarks without ever noticing the work put into them. I find it odd that you get to customize your character in TDU to a laughably complex degree but you can’t get out of the car in order to, say, take a screenshot of your vehicle from a different angle.
Miller wrote:I guess you guys will be very happy that the cars are real vehicles.
Hmm, yes and no. In my opinion, using fantasy vehicles (albeit very unambiguously based on real-life models) in D3 (for example) allowed for a greater freedom in terms of design and marque-related variety. You had a couple of Dodges, a couple of Fords and a Lincoln, a 2nd gen Firebird, an early C3 ‘Vette, a couple of BMW’s and Lamborghinis, a Maserati, a Ferrari (!)… heck, even an old Bugatti and an Auburn. DSF, judging by what we’ve seen so far in any case, seems to be rife with Dodge, Shelby, Alfa Romeo and RUF offerings which will inevitably upset that balance present in the original games.

Another thing is (and I’m probably alone in this attitude), I’ve always admired Reflections for their uncompromising determination to offer – almost exclusively – classic (pre-90’s) models – an approach which went a great deal towards defining the feel of the series for me and which, needless to say, suited my personal aesthetic preferences. DPL did offer a compromise (in a predictable attempt to attract all those who complained about them 50’s Chevy lookalikes which, to me, added heaps of eerie atmosphere to the streets of D3’s Istanbul) but the ability to switch between the two eras was a clever way of keeping both people who – like yours truly – feel insulted by the blandness of modern automotive design and classics haters happy. Now, unless the devs haven’t gone out of their way (as they did in the past) to encrypt their precious files, my replays and screenshots will be messed up by some pathetic Neon in the background. In short, I want a 70’s (or at least an early 80’s – I admit, I love the DMC-12 and I’m glad it’s there) Frisco! But that’s just me, of course.

If I were to go a little more in-depth here, I’d have to say that as much as I love the (surprising) inclusion of the fabulous Giulia Tubulare Zagato 2, I’d rather see one of the cutest classic Alfas ever made – the Montreal. (Alright… I’m just a little bored with the TZ2 as I’ve been enjoying a pretty cool rendition made by Butch aka NFS Bolide for High Stakes for quite a while now.) Then there’s the 1967 Shelby GT500. Again?!!! (Yes, I have it in virtually every NFS from HS onwards, in GT Legends and, you guessed it, in GTA SA as well.) Why couldn’t it be the rarer but equally cool 1968 KR with its formidable grille (I keep wondering how it would look with an early 2nd gen Camaro type of split bumper) and California Special-kind of taillights? Or the 1969, sporting an aggressive Javelin-like front? Finally, if we’re just talking classic Mustangs here (although it looks like Ubisoft struck a deal with Shelby rather than Ford), the addition of any 1969-1973 hardtop would be more original than the 1967 GT500. On to the Dodges then. With Martin dropping all those ‘Bullitt’ references it’s a wonder (not really, you know the answer to that, uhm, riddle already) they went with the 1969 Charger rather than the (again, lesser-known) 1968 featured in the movie. With regards to the 1970 Challenger… well, of course it’s cool and iconic (Kowalski in ‘Vanishing Point’, I know) but, damn, how I’d love to drive the more elusive 1972 (I think) they used for the ‘parking lot teaser’ instead! At the end of the day, however, I do realize that these are not ‘legitimate’ complaints – it’s just me wanting to take some obscure variant I haven’t yet driven for a virtual spin.

To answer your question though (took me quite a while, eh?): I’d rather have my driving / racing games filled with imaginary vintage rides (think FlatOut 2, for instance – fortunately, thanks to the resourceful guys at FlatOut Joint, I managed to replace all the opponents’ cars I hated with models that suit my preferences) than enjoy a handful of predictable classics amidst a sea of modern designs which simply fail to give me that vintage Driver feeling. It’s a controversial statement, I know. In a similar vein, I have more fun with the generous bunch of assorted fantasy oldies available in Burnout Paradise than I probably will with the licensed modern exotics in the forthcoming NFS Hot Pursuit.
Moonchild wrote:(…) I can't believe there continuing the D3 story (…).
I can’t believe Martin’s unafraid to even mention the controversial D3 (which, let’s face it, cast a shadow of ridicule on the series) and, personally, I respect him for not pretending that the title never existed in the first place or something like that.
Moonchild wrote:(…) And I can't believe theirs licensed cars. So stupid man, damage modeling will be weak but judging by this "shifting" crap crashes will be non existent anyways. WTF man?
Well, you’re jumping to conclusions here (we haven’t really seen any serious damage yet, I think) but I’m having similar reservations with regards to Hot Pursuit. It’s quite possible that the damage will be more, hmm, subdued, than the kind offered by Burnout Paradise. However… Martin did mention that the shift function can be used to ‘set up crashes’ if I remember correctly. (Yeah, like you can’t do it the ‘old-fashioned’ way.)
Moonchild wrote:Ambience, that preview showed the game has none, just like DPL the environment is bland and boring. It just doesn't have the detail of a real next gen game.
Me, I’m just glad that – after the cartoonish extravaganza of DPL – the environmental proportions are realistic again. And I expect some winding roads (I missed those in DPL, along with genuinely varied neighborhoods rather than streets looking like clones of one another), rural areas and (how obvious is that?) heavy elevation changes. I’m also more concerned about gameplay issues. For example, when will a checkpoint (and tournament) editor become a standard feature in open-world driving games? How about improvised outruns s/a those in NFS UG2? Will there be a possibility to store your favorite vehicles? What will the time limit for replays be? Will we finally be able to start recording at any given time or at the start of each mission as before? Will there be more options for the chase camera? How about the ability to define zoom levels for the start / end of a given sequence for a smooth sweep? Or the ‘Matrix’ style frozen frame rotation as implemented in NFS HP2?
emmetmcl wrote:I dont want to be able to smash through EVERYTHING, just things like light posts, not bus shelters!!!
About 9 people out of 10 must’ve complained about those sturdy lampposts in D3 so they finally caved in in DPL and went with the ‘GTA approach’. Personally, I think that luring cops into those obstacles – as tricky as it was – and watching them crash provided some of the most rewarding moments in those classic titles.
Biscaynes wrote:I'm glad that you can't run over pedestrians. I hate doing this.
Yeah, I’ve had my share of that in the first 2 Carmageddon titles (including the ‘every pedestrian murdered’ method of finishing a ‘race’). It was actually pretty sad in DPL – the hopelessly dumb AI evidently oblivious to the trail of bodies just yards ahead and refusing to get out of the way – and occasionally even annoying. Especially when I was trying to complete a checkpoint challenge in one of the parks.

More importantly though, Driver deserves to be an ‘accessible’ series. With the violence toned down and the inclusion of licensed cars, the dash view and the multiplayer modes, this one might attract a wider audience than any of the previous instalments did.
SOAP wrote:I don't like the red trails from pursued cars.
I’d rather have those than a big-ass icon hovering over a car that would spoil my replays. I remember taking the time to customize a crew member’s car in NFS Carbon for the sole purpose of taking some cool screenshots and the stupid icon I had completely forgotten about messed the whole ‘enterprise’ up.
By Miller
Nikusakken wrote:
You guys asked for a Driver similar to the original. No stupid on foot sections and all car action. Reflections gave it.
You guys asked for the film director. Reflections gave it.
You guys asked for Tanner. Reflections gave it.
You guys asked for online multiplayer that was scraped from Parallel Lines. Reflections gave it.
You guys wished that Martin to return. He returned.
Those seem like good reminders, man. Of course, some people have some understandable concerns and complaints.

Damage, Etc.
Double Mac wrote:
Moonchild wrote:
(…) And I can't believe theirs licensed cars. So stupid man, damage modeling will be weak but judging by this "shifting" crap crashes will be non existent anyways. WTF man?
Well, you’re jumping to conclusions here (we haven’t really seen any serious damage yet, I think) but I’m having similar reservations with regards to Hot Pursuit. It’s quite possible that the damage will be more, hmm, subdued, than the kind offered by Burnout Paradise. However… Martin did mention that the shift function can be used to ‘set up crashes’ if I remember correctly. (Yeah, like you can’t do it the ‘old-fashioned’ way.)
They really do that, man? Hmm. I have some game called Need For Speed: High Stakes, which I still like to play. The damage to the game's cars is very disappointing. I thought it was just a limitation of the technology back then or something, but when I started downloading and trying user-made cars last year, I noticed that some of them have very appropriate and extensive damage. Wow, that is a bummer that they do that, man.
Double Mac wrote:
About 9 people out of 10 must’ve complained about those sturdy lampposts in D3 so they finally caved in in DPL and went with the ‘GTA approach’. Personally, I think that luring cops into those obstacles – as tricky as it was – and watching them crash provided some of the most rewarding moments in those classic titles.
I remember some review I read for DRIV3R a long time ago, in which the reviewer was making that sort of comlaint: I don't know what I can drive through and what I can't. LOL Oh, I just looked. It was the Gertsmann (whatever) guy, and he gave DRIV3R a 3.8/10. I rate him slightly lower. LOL

I used DriverMadness.net's search feature thing to look up an old post of mine from two years ago, so I could act like a big shot by showing a quote by me, writing that I would like to see DRIVER 5 take place in San Francisco, and how it would be cool to compare the one in the first game with the new version of the same city, like with Miami. Then I remembered I already tried that trick of self-aggrandizement back in the beginning of the year when San Francisco was announced in the "The Evidence" topic. That was one of those posts that mostly disappeared. Anyway, so much for my petty ego, but it will be cool to race around San Francisco again and watch replays.

Missing Foot
I thought that being able to get out of a car and run around added a lot to some of the replay videos I have seen. I also agree with Double Mac about it being nice for sightseeing. I will miss this feature, but its absence willl hardly ruin the game for me.

Replays
Double Mac wrote:
What will the time limit for replays be? Will we finally be able to start recording at any given time or at the start of each mission as before? Will there be more options for the chase camera? How about the ability to define zoom levels for the start / end of a given sequence for a smooth sweep?
All good questions. Yes, some of us were very interested in being able to choose when to start recording a replay. It may seem like it hardly matters, since you have to record it again with Fraps or whatever to see it without running the game, and could just edit your video's beginning and end points. I do not know, though, man. In DRIV3R, it seemed very much, to me, as if the replay time limit was dependent on how much memory my PC had. I could not get more than a couple of minutes when I had 1GB of memory, but after I put in 3GB, I was able to record longer replays. Does that make sense, or did I imagine it? It seems like that makes when the recording starts more critical.

When I first visited DriverMadness.net a few years ago, I had just purchased DRIV3R. I came to ask if there was a way to change the default views for the instant replays. They sucked, and that is not an opinion. I do not recall the numbers anymore, but at the time I measured it, and over half the time the camera was showing a view of where the car had been, a hubcap view, and some other views that altogether added up to the car actually being shown less than half the time in instant replays. How cool was that? I hope that if there is an instant replay, it looks better than that.

Violence
Biscaynes wrote:I'm glad that you can't run over pedestrians. I hate doing this.
You do not have to do that, man. LOL Hey, man, I thought it was great when one could run over pedestrians in DRIV3R. LOL Very funny. I still wish it could be that running over pedestrians would lower your score, or whatever would incentivize avoiding them. I still wish you could have windshield wipers and washer fluid that was both the only thing that could clean off the blood when their heads bust open and splatter your windshield and limited, so you would try to avoid hitting people in your car so you can see where you are going. Hitting pedestrians, in my opinion, should be sort of shocking as well as funny.

I hope that later on, we at DriverMadness.net will be lucky enough to have a topic dealing with custom, home-built PC rigs outfitted well enough to run DSF and record some Fraps video, so people can share ideas and knowledge about how to get the most out of their DSF experience for the least cost.

:?: Is this the first DRIVER game with a dash cam, then?
:?: Is this the first DRIVER game with multiplayer? I think many people will welcome and enjoy the Shift feature, especially online.
:?: Do the target arrows show in DRIVER game replays? They do not do that, do they? Oh, this like not being able to recall the name of the person you are speaking with, even though you have known the person for years. I have to go see if there are red arrows in my replays.
GANGSTA_MAN_MEX wrote:DRIVER SF IS BEST IN GRAFIK
IS ITT COMIN OUT ON PS2?
:lol: , is a next-gen game, it's impossible to see a PS2 release for Driver SF, man you need to start playing the whole series to learn something and not saying that GTA is the best.
For me GTA VC was the best, cool city, excellent soundtrack and a lot of 80s cool cars.
GTA SA only was good because of the size of the map.
By Miller
Nikusakken wrote: Of course it'll come. Hell, there will even be a version for the SNES, Genesis and Atari 2600.
Aw, but not on the Nintendo 64? Mine still works. Sometimes I have to get it out and play that original Battletanx game.

Miller wrote: When I first visited DriverMadness.net a few years ago, I had just purchased DRIV3R. I came to ask if there was a way to change the default views for the instant replays. They sucked, and that is not an opinion. I do not recall the numbers anymore, but at the time I measured it, and over half the time the camera was showing a view of where the car had been, a hubcap view, and some other views that altogether added up to the car actually being shown less than half the time in instant replays. How cool was that? I hope that if there is an instant replay, it looks better than that.
This video is evidently a recording of an instant replay (or at least Auto Director, I guess -- same thing, right?). It is a good example of what I hope we will not have to settle for in DSF.

That was the only real disappointment for me in DRIV3R, since my favorite thing to do in a DRIVER game is play a chase and then watch the instant replay.

I hope they put a padlock camera in there this time. For those who are unfamiliar, in a padlock view, the camera adjusts its position automatically and smoothly to keep one vehicle in the foreground and another in the background of the picture. That is my favorite view in IL-2 Sturmovik games. How cool would something like that look in a DRIVER game replay?
By T.K.
Miller wrote:
Nikusakken wrote: Of course it'll come. Hell, there will even be a version for the SNES, Genesis and Atari 2600.
Aw, but not on the Nintendo 64? Mine still works. Sometimes I have to get it out and play that original Battletanx game.
*spits coffee everywhere*
BattleTanx, you say?
*hugglez*
Crazy Copper Frenzy

https://youtu.be/xAE3QsULyB4

https://youtu.be/AxdGf3F0yIg

Driv3r "Nice Getaway"

https://youtu.be/CYkmGAPoO9s Lucas in Driv3r's Ni[…]

https://youtu.be/Yvc_xKrKhnc?si=k4I5kraarTXctHJp […]