Modding discussion for Driver: San Francisco.
By Coyote
That's actual all very strange somhow, isn't it? Haha

Ok I will look into the Asym. I remember there is a moment when you see it driving on the street, I will unlock shift since it's blocked at that point and make some rounds with it. Maybe I find something new!

By the way: Even the Asym - a special car - has special colors: white is extremely rare (only seen once), and so is light blue!
By PostalDude
Coyote wrote:That's actual all very strange somhow, isn't it? Haha

Ok I will look into the Asym. I remember there is a moment when you see it driving on the street, I will unlock shift since it's blocked at that point and make some rounds with it. Maybe I find something new!

By the way: Even the Asym - a special car - has special colors: white is extremely rare (only seen once), and so is light blue!
BTW-from my various replays of the mission where you have suicide kamikaze ASYMS trying to blow up the police 18-wheeler, I believe they share the sound bank with the Cadillac DTS.
By Fireboyd78
The .DDS files are textures. They're located inside of Reflection's CHNK file format - it's one huge compressed archive full of different file types. It's been used since DRIV3R, after playing around with Mini DRIV3R for awhile I noticed that the file format in DSF is pretty much the same. Me and Jeff (someone972) spent some time looking at how things worked, in DRIV3R the files are full of offsets to the next file. Blah blah blah!

Replacing DDS textures are really easy. I can't really describe it, but every file format is unique. If you're interested in trying this out for yourself, get a hold of any hex editor (I prefer HxD) and throw a search for DDS. Your result should look like this:

Make sure DDS is selected on the hexadecimal side of the code and press "F3" to go to the next search result. It should look something like this:

Select up until the red line area (that's the cutoff point and is not part of the .DDS file) and copy it over into a new file and save it as anything with a .DDS extension. You'll need a program that can import .DDS files - if you don't want to have to get Photoshop or Paint.NET just to open DDS files, I highly recommend SageThumbs (Not sure if a Mac version exists).

There, that's how I did it. Simple as hell.
By Coyote
Those strange signs at the right = encrypted data, you can not change this haha :D

Once you have decompiled this / decompressed / decrypted / whatever, then you can start making changes (if you know how to programm in Lua that is).

For me it's not much of use as my game works completely different. (I mean the encryption stuff, obviously my game is coded in Lua as well) Hex and cheat engines are sadly not of use for this game, that stuff is more for simple games where you have a score and you can hack it. Actually it could be used for DSF for hacking leader board scores and for getting money I believe, or at least I believe that's how the people do it who cheat in the leader boards (screw them…)

By the way, you guys mentioned the Monaco earlier. Here the real pic:

I have the picture in up to 2560 x 1440 (the resolution at which I play / at which I took the screen). I will do some nice screens soon which I will share as wallpapers :) Nice screens with special stuff… :)
By Fireboyd78
That's badass. And Cheat Engine can hack anything if you try hard enough, lol. It's really powerful.
By Coyote
CarLuver69 wrote:That's badass. And Cheat Engine can hack anything if you try hard enough, lol. It's really powerful.
Then do it! :P Because I can't. Ok I admit I haven't really tried, but again it would be more a waste of time than something useful for me. If on PC it's how it works, then I suggest that you go this way :)

I think with this you can change some information, but you can not replace it by something custom. Like a map for example. And that's what I want, I want the Miami map :) This is my big dream right now!
By Fireboyd78
Hate to break it to you, but the Miami map is in an entirely different format as opposed to DSF. It would take an immense amount of reverse engineering to decode BOTH formats! It's not a simple swap unfortunately.
By RacingFreak
I will be watching this thread as its getting interesting :P

BTW I had already ripped some cars, like the ASYM and Dodge Monaco, but i need to re-rip with the new ripping tools that are out.
By Coyote
Actually until recently I've had some problems with this, but I think it can be done now, but with "mean" tricks. I can not get it to drive from the garage, but I could unblock shift somehow, and then just shift into it at some point. (When it's cruising around)

I could go to the garage with it and see what happens, I'm really curious now actually.
CarLuver69 wrote:Hate to break it to you, but the Miami map is in an entirely different format as opposed to DSF. It would take an immense amount of reverse engineering to decode BOTH formats! It's not a simple swap unfortunately.
It could be converted in the DSF format I suppose?

Otherwise I don't know if there's something to decode in DSF, I can freely move stuff around:

I haven't tried with anything else yet, but it should be the same way. :) (Or at least I hope so)
By Fireboyd78
Here's our first problem: DRIV3R has 3 files for the city, one is the roads I believe "MIAMI_DAY_PC.d3c" and then inside of a folder with the same name as the city, "Interiors.pcs" and "SuperRegions.pcs" - these contain all the props you could ever think of as well as buildings and other miscellaneous things. They have DDS textures inside, it actually took SL Converter a good 20 minutes to get them all out and even then it still had 99% of them corrupted (stupid program). Either that or the PCS file is what you're after and the D3C file is just an index to place everything.

As for DSF, there's only one file for the city - "san_francisco.dngc". I'm not sure what the DNG stands for but C must mean city, because the cars are in a file called "dngvehicles.sp" and it's all related to 3D model stuff. If anyone is serious about this, we'd need a team of reverse engineers to get sh*t done fast and efficiently.
By RacingFreak
I doubt it would be possible as it seems Reflections made completely new engine starting with DPL, if you even look into the Wii versions and other Wii games made by Reflections, they all use .sp files for vehicles and .d4c for cities.
By Coyote
What do you mean? Isn't it the same as the Driver 3 one and the Stuntman one?

Also, we can see an Asym Desanne taxi here at 1:08:

[youtube size=560X315]
[/youtube]

First time we see it in gameplay, no?

There's also some other Asyms (civilian and cop) and also a police transporter attached to a Boldius (the old rig). This is never seen in game…

And of course there's lots of special effects such as cars slipping for no reason, special cameras we don't have, etc. :)

But this trailer just shows how I feel about this game. THIS is why I love it. It's just damn epic. It's what it's all about, and I love the mood, the music, just everything.
By Coyote
I'm wondering if it would be possible to make AI players for multiplayer.

Let's say in tag for example… you'd have 4 real players, and 4 AI players. They could chase you (the function is already there, just like when cops or any other car chases you) and they could shift in different cars too (this function exists as well already, remember when Jericho was shifting in different cars and chasing you?).

That would be kind of interesting :) Maybe this could be something for the next Driver? I like to play relay race or capture the flag in DSF. But to play that, I always have to organise a meeting because it needs at least 4 players. I rarely get to play those modes when I just randomly search for them. Players would see the "3 more players needed" or "2 more players needed" message and they would go away. And in the mean time 5 other people do the same. If they would wait a minutes they wouldn't have this problem… idiots…

Anyway, some games such as relay race really can't be played without at least two players in each team. (which can't be said for capture the flag) And if there's not enough players (for example 3, therefore one missing), the game could provide an AI player. Or even more AI players. As real players come, these get replaced by the real players. This way, nobody has to wait, you can still play even if it's partially against a computer, and it motivates other players to play the game. Nobody likes an empty game, or a game with someone who's just learning how to shift. That's booooooring!
Crazy Copper Frenzy

https://youtu.be/xAE3QsULyB4

https://youtu.be/AxdGf3F0yIg

Driv3r "Nice Getaway"

https://youtu.be/CYkmGAPoO9s Lucas in Driv3r's Ni[…]

https://youtu.be/Yvc_xKrKhnc?si=k4I5kraarTXctHJp […]